Like Tree2Likes

PCCW killed Windows Update?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    Give up yourself to the Google now.
    Change your DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 - you will be happy you did.
    Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot:
    Use 4.2.2.2, 4.2.2.3, 4.2.2.4 as DNS servers so you dont have to be enslaved by google.
    What is the difference between these two sets of server addresses?

I use opendns..... Works quite well.

Yes OpenDNS is what I used - I used to use it in the UK as well.

The downside to changing the DNS is you have to do it PC by PC as the router they give you doesn't support changing the DNS (or at least doesn't expose that to the user). Also, once you change the DNS, when you type in the router's IP it rediverts you to another website - ha ha!

Has anyone ever plugged a different ADSL router directly into their phoneline, or is that not possible?

BTW I will let you know what they say if they reply to the e-mail I sent. So far I have only received the canned "we will get back to you in two days" response. One assumes they will get it working again at some point ... hopefully by next patch Tuesday!

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    It means that Google, in addition to having a copy of all your Gmail email, will now also have a list of every single website you ever visit. Only you can decide whether you would feel comfortable with that. I know I wouldn't.
    Hmmm. Who do I trust more (or less)? Google or PCCW? Tough!

Quote Originally Posted by ag_pusskie:
    The downside to changing the DNS is you have to do it PC by PC as the router they give you doesn't support changing the DNS (or at least doesn't expose that to the user).
    there in lies your first problem...why are you using PCCW router? You should be buying your own better router so that you have full control over it and can access the DNS settings.

Well I made a change to the DNS settings (for my work pc ha ha, ITS will love me) and it does seem to browse a little faster.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Hmmm. Who do I trust more (or less)? Google or PCCW? Tough!
    google has never forced me into signing up for a "free" service i did not want that would be automatically rolled into a "paid" plan without notifying me in advance, and then refusing to cancel said service without charing me the remaining months of the contract period.

i would rather give to google right now until they too start raping me.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Well I made a change to the DNS settings (for my work pc ha ha, ITS will love me) and it does seem to browse a little faster.
    the DNS settings from google and OpenDNS will work faster for fetching western website IP's, but local ones might go a little slower.

>> Who do I trust more (or less)? Google or PCCW? Tough!

Or OpenDNS ....

I put my "trust" in the least competent of them all... PCCW. God knows they have no clue what to do with your data.

One problem with using these DNS services is that many content distribution services (including Microsoft) will point you to US based servers (they get your DNS request from a US based IP, figure you're a US based user and give you an IP address of a US based server).

(I've oversimplified this... there is a fair bit more that happens and some of the better ones do detect you're from HK... but still .. using an overseas based DNS just slows things downs more for the internets...)

Does this mean that Cathay might not figure out I am in Manila if I connect in manila with this? Now THAT I would love. (Last week I was unable to book flights while in manila because apparently it's a high risk destination and the online booking does not work if the server detects you are there .... well, at least for a HK-London flight, perhaps it allows Manila - HK flights!)