Like Tree2Likes

PCCW killed Windows Update?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    One problem with using these DNS services is that many content distribution services (including Microsoft) will point you to US based servers (they get your DNS request from a US based IP, figure you're a US based user and give you an IP address of a US based server).
    but you if you add the OpenDNS item to menubar, you can turn on when standard web browsing, and turn off when doing software updates or file downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Does this mean that Cathay might not figure out I am in Manila if I connect in manila with this? Now THAT I would love. (Last week I was unable to book flights while in manila because apparently it's a high risk destination and the online booking does not work if the server detects you are there .... well, at least for a HK-London flight, perhaps it allows Manila - HK flights!)
    no...usually DNS servers do not mask identity, meaning they still can trace back your original IP. But most sites will only fetch immediate IP so im not sure if that will help or not.

however, you can use a VPN service like VyprVPN (many others out there...but this is one i use and love)...which will encrypt and mask your IP completely...showing you are in that country. Problem is you need to find a VPN with a server in that country. VyprVPN does not have Philippines server.

Does changing the DNS server affect windows explorer (or is the fact it just crashed merely a co-incidence and one of the many window's failures that drive me crazy)?

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Does changing the DNS server affect windows explorer (or is the fact it just crashed merely a co-incidence and one of the many window's failures that drive me crazy)?
    HAHAHAHA... no comment, other then a good chuckle. the DNS settings should not make a computer crash, but with windows...just looking at the screen with an odd expression might cause it to crash so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    until they too start raping me.
    I do wish you'd stop using the word "rape" to mean "charge", it must be quite offensive to those who have been subject to rape.
    BenderBends likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I put my "trust" in the least competent of them all... PCCW. God knows they have no clue what to do with your data.
    I'm with Shri entirely on this.