Like Tree2Likes

PCCW killed Windows Update?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

PCCW killed Windows Update?

Hi all, just wondered if this was unique to me. I am on 8Mb ADSL btw ...

This weekend, Windows update (and the direct MS download site) suddenly stopped working on my machines. This sounds like typical malware activity, but I was sceptical this was the case. Still, I spent quite a few hours googling and trying a few tools to find the possible infection and came up blank.

So I tried tethering my 3 mobile as a modem and Windows Update immediately worked. Then I changed the DNS on a machine to use OpenDNS and it kept on working. So it appears there is something wrong with the PCCW DNS. I will e-mail them about it and see what they say.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

gunsnroses likes this.

PCCW's DNS has flakey episodes quite often. My assumption is that for things like Microsoft Update either PCCW or Microsoft is trying to cache it locally and that sometimes the caching & redirection process fails. Every Windows user pulling a copy of the same update at more or less the same time each month would be a real killer of PCCW's international bandwidth, so it makes perfect sense for them to try to cache it locally. The problem seems to be in the implementation.

Last edited by PDLM; 18-10-2010 at 03:40 PM.

Give up yourself to the Google now.
    Change your DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 - you will be happy you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    Give up yourself to the Google now.
    Change your DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 - you will be happy you did.
    What does this mean (for the non techies amongst us?)

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    https://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

https://code.google.com/speed/public...ocs/using.html

Yeah, happened with me too, 5 new updates from windows were failing, I tried few times at different times but no luck, so gave up trying. Didn't realise PCCW was responsible for this, thanks for sharing.

It means that Google, in addition to having a copy of all your Gmail email, will now also have a list of every single website you ever visit. Only you can decide whether you would feel comfortable with that. I know I wouldn't.

Had the same with Google's DNS once a couple of weeks ago, I think it just means a particular server at Microsoft croaked and the TTL was too high for Google to get the address of a functional host.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    It means that Google, in addition to having a copy of all your Gmail email, will now also have a list of every single website you ever visit. Only you can decide whether you would feel comfortable with that. I know I wouldn't.
    As an alternative you could use OpenDNS or Norton DNS.

Google will only require your firstborn in return.

Wait till Google teams up with the property developers. Then we're all screwed.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast