Broadband internet - please help!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    princesstreet

Broadband internet - please help!

Hello all

I am moving to HK in a couple of weeks so please be gentle!

We are moving to Lamma and we want the internet. Something with enough bandwidth to be able to skype home would be great. We plan to live in HK for about a year and the minimum contract terms we have seen through netvigator is 24 months. Are there any 12 month deals around?! Plus, with netvigator, you seem to have to sign up to TV and a phone line as well. We don't want or need this.

I would be super madly grateful if someone could tell me where I should look, what I should ask for to get a broadband line for 1, maybe 2 laptops and if you could give an indication of what it would cost I would be forever indebted.

I don't deny I am thick but the netvigator website is incredibly difficult to understand and I have not been able to find any other broadband providers on the net.

Many thanks in advance

I don't think the service plans are so difficult to understand but you can just walk into any PCCW shop and ask. With some persistance you should be able to negotiate the contract to 18 or even 12 months. Not sure though what speeds they offer on Lamma, see here though: http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/61/thread81361.html

Read the small print before signing up. I recommend to reject any free trial offers for their "value"-added services that you don't need and have to pay for if you don't terminate them on time.
    You can bundle nowTV and land-line with internet but AFAIK it is not compulsory; actually I am not sure if nowTV is even available on Lamma.

Note that if you don't have HKIDs (i.e. as illegal immigrants) some things here can be harder.

princesstreet

Thanks for your advice guys.

I am not an illegal, well, I will be travelling on a visitor's visa. My fiancee works in HK so the accounts will be in her name.

The netvigator website seems to want to bundle everything together and they're all for 24 month terms. Do you really think this is negotiable? I once tried to negotiate a mobile phone contract at O2 in the UK down from 18 months to 12 months and got laughed at.

What sort of speed do you think would be sufficient to Skype people on?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by princesstreet:
    I am moving to HK in a couple of weeks
    Quote Originally Posted by princesstreet:
    I am not an illegal, well, I will be travelling on a visitor's visa.
    That makes you an illegal.

princesstreet

what, I can't move to HK for six months at a time to visit my fiancee? Not sure how that makes me an illegal. Would make a significant percentage of the HK population illegal too in that case.

No, you cannot "move" to Hong Kong at all unless you have a visa which permits you to do so. You may not reside in Hong Kong. You can visit, but if you don't have a residence somewhere else then you are clearly illegal.

And no, there are only a very small number of illegal immigrants in Hong Kong - I guess a few hundred or a couple of thousand at most (excluding mainland Chinese).

princesstreet

As I said, I am moving shortly to HK to be with my fiancee. I will be coming in on a visitor's visa and will be staying in six-monthly stints. Whilst I hear what you are saying, I am not sure why you are saying it. Aside from the fact that it is patently wrong, it is also quite rude. Having taken advice from a HK-qualified immigration lawyer and the Chinese Embassy on this, forgive me if I do not take your advice.

You have no idea about and did not ask whether I have residence elsewhere, not that that should matter to a question I have posted about broadband. Really well done for irritating me when all I needed was a little advice on broadband. Hope you are not symptomatic of people in Hong Kong when I "move" there!

:-)

princesstreet

As I said, I am moving shortly to HK to be with my fiancee. I will be coming in on a visitor's visa and will be staying in six-monthly stints. Whilst I hear what you are saying, I am not sure why you are saying it. Aside from the fact that it is patently wrong, it is also quite rude. Having taken advice from a HK-qualified immigration lawyer and the Chinese Embassy on this, forgive me if I do not take your advice.

You have no idea about and did not ask whether I have residence elsewhere, not that that should matter to a question I have posted about broadband. Really well done for irritating me when all I needed was a little advice on broadband. Hope you are not symptomatic of people in Hong Kong when I "move" there!

:-)

PDLM is annoying, but he is correct. You cannot move to HK on a visitors visa. You cannot get a "dependent" visa unless you marry your fiancee. Just because your fiancee is working here doesnt give you any right to move here.

Having said the above, if you are only planning to come for 12 months, then you will probably get away with it and not have any trouble. But there are many cases of people like you being refused entry (or more commonly told "this is your last entry") after about 3 or 4 entries without a long gap being outside HK. So you will be fine for a while, but better marry soon if you plan to live in HK more than 12 months.

On the topic of broadband, how about a wireless solution from somewhere like vodafone or 3? I believe they do 12 month contracts and the prices are quite good. For skype voice calls, really anything is OK. I dont consider skype to require much bandwidth unless you want the full screen video calls. Even then it is pretty good on any type of internet connection.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast