Dropbox

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

For ultimate security.. check out truecrypt
    When combined with dropbox, you end up with a (perfect?) solution

by the way...just wanted to let you know that while i like Dropbox more, i also have an account with Sugarsync (only because they still work in china where as Dropbox doesnt without hacks).

But...for those of you looking for freebies...Sugarsync is quite good, and upgraded its free service to 5GB now, plus you can still get extras with referral links. If anyone is interested in signing up for SugarSync, please use this referral so we can both benefit:

https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=c48yyifaiahi3

see attachment for the added bonus by using the referral link:

Quote Originally Posted by robertlempriere
    For ultimate security.. check out truecrypt
    When combined with dropbox, you end up with a (perfect?) solution
    Have you tested this successfully?

I tried using multiple clients to access TC on a shared folder (NAS based) a couple years back and found that TC would not allow multiple access.

I realise that it'd work slightly differetly with Dropbox as Dropbox uses a local cache, just that I'd be quite wary of the TC container being corrupted.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    Have you tested this successfully?
    i havent used it...but it seems like a popular choice for some:

Storing Sensitive Data In The Cloud Using Dropbox & TrueCrypt
    Dropbox and Truecrypt Files Dropbox Forums
    How To Use Truecrypt In Your Dropbox | Fischer Times

seems like a hassle to me...according to article you must do the following whenever you want to edit a file or folder:
    Later when you want to make changes to your files and add/delete some files then be sure to follow these following steps:

Shut down Dropbox
    Mount the volume
    Make changes to the files
    Start Dropbox
    Dismount the volume
    Wait until sync is finished and the Dropbox icon becomes green

Ah, if they are dismounting the volume, that means that only one client can access the encrypted partition at a time. I tried something like this a couple of years back, and it was a bit of a pain.

I'm using a similar setup to you for sensitive info. PasswordSafe on top of AmazonS3/JungleDisk for password management. Works well between multiple clients because I don't have to update info in the password file frequently.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2