Can't play AVI files suddenly

Closed Thread

Can't play AVI files suddenly

Help, my computer suddenly can't play any AVI files, even those that previously worked.
    If I try to open any AVI file the applications all hang immediately, regardless if I use Windows Media Player, Real Player or DIVX Player.

I made no changes to the config and didn't update anything. Tried rebooting, power off/on (twice) and did a virus scan, no luck.

Any ideas?

This is not a solution but a temporary work-around, but try installing VLC player. It plays damn-near every format, if not all formats.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    This is not a solution but a temporary work-around, but try installing VLC player. It plays damn-near every format, if not all formats.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Yes, second that. Have been using it for a year and no problems. Very good player.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    Help, my computer suddenly can't play any AVI files, even those that previously worked.
    If I try to open any AVI file the applications all hang immediately, regardless if I use Windows Media Player, Real Player or DIVX Player.

I made no changes to the config and didn't update anything. Tried rebooting, power off/on (twice) and did a virus scan, no luck.

Any ideas?
    Try doing a system restore. If you could play them 3 days ago for example, restore your system to a point before that. Control Panel > System & Security > Action Centre > Restore Your Computer to an Earlier Time, that should undo what ever happened in the interim...

Tried the restore as suggested by bryant.english, works again. Thanks!