Like Tree15Likes

Bill Gates reminds me yet again what a heap of crap Windows is...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Not in Mac World
    From Oct 2009

Apple acknowledges Snow Leopard data loss issue

For the past month, some Mac OS X users have been reporting their personal data missing after logging into their guest accounts, and Apple now says it's working on finding a fix.

"We are aware of the issue, which occurs only in extremely rare cases, and we are working on a fix," an Apple representative said in a prepared statement Monday.
    (Credit: Apple)

It's the first time Apple has said it is looking into the issue. In early September, a handful of Mac users reported the issue on Apple's discussion boards. The problem, when it occurs, goes like this, according to CNET's MacFixit: when logging into the guest account on their Mac first and then logging into their regular account, some users are finding all their data to be missing and their accounts completely reset.

Apple's data loss issue is also yet another problem related to its most recent operating-system release. Snow Leopard has been plagued with bugs since its release, including problems with the Finder hanging or crashing, incompatibility with certain apps, and the AirPort connection dropping.

Although Apple doesn't yet have an answer for why this is occurring, you can check here for some suggested fixes, if you're experiencing the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    You can set the Windows Auto Update to await your approval before it installs (and reboots). Nothing installs on my computer without my approval.
    The reality is that they will not let you decide when you reboot if there is a major security problem in windows.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    I've shaken my fist in the general direction of Bill and Melinda Gates' ridiculous mansion in Medina, WA many times . . . if I weren't so damn lazy, I'd be rockin' the Linux now. As it is, Sloth > Wrath
    Well, to their credit, they have done a lot more for the world's needy with their money then people like Jobs, Elison or pretty much any other hyper rich and powerful tech billionaire has.

In particular as a Rotarian, I can see how they've put their money into fighting Polio which is being eradicated thanks to funding from them and the Rotary Club in a very unique partnership.

Rotary.org: News
    Last edited by shri; 12-02-2011 at 12:55 PM.
    PDLM, MovingIn07, Loz_2 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Well, to their credit, they have done a lot more for the world's needy with their money then people like Jobs, Elison or pretty much any other hyper rich and powerful tech billionaire has.
    Very true. Can't hear/read Larry Ellison's name without thinking of the many stories/reports of his sexual harassment of female employees. He's kind of the poster child for billionaire tech brats.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:

In particular as a Rotarian, I can see how they've put their money into fighting Polio which is being eradicated thanks to funding from them and the Rotary Club in a very unique partnership.

Rotary.org: News
    seriously, i would not post any information about the Gates family nor their investments, unless YOU are from or have lived an experienced life in the state of Wa.
    even though i have never met the Gates family in person, I-AM-MUCH-CLOSER-THAN-YOU-TO-THEM, compared to your google/search.

*waiting...*
    Last edited by protocl; 12-02-2011 at 09:08 PM. Reason: add.

I know it's unfashionable to say it but I love Microsoft! My favourite OS of all time is Windows 7, actually I've liked them all, even Windows 95! I still have all my old DOS floppies somewhere as well!

Internet Explorer is my favourite browser. I've tried Netscape, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, etc, I always end up deleting them and going back to IE and I think it is ridiculous that Microsoft cannot bundle IE with Windows anymore, completely dumb.

I've tried open source alternatives to office and switched back as well.

Microsoft products may have their faults but by God they have revolutionised the world and in my opinion made it a better place to live. PCs are affordable for many who cannot afford Macs.

I was given a Macbook a couple of years ago by my father. He is a journalist and a magazine publisher and swears by Macs. The Macbook was 'worth' something like 2000 quid and I loathed it. After 3 months I gave it back to him having replaced it with Lenovo Thinkpad!!

You can't say Bill Gates is a bad guy! Come on! I say thank you Mr. Gates, thank you for your vision, your great products and your humanity, you are an inspiration!

Reminds me of a joke they say only nerds of a certain age will get:

C:\DOS
    C:\DOS RUN
    RUN DOS RUN!

malc likes this.

As IT would say: "User error."

seriously, i predict - multiple geoexpat.com accounts per user.

Shri! respond!

Last edited by protocl; 12-02-2011 at 10:00 PM. Reason: add.

Office 2010 has a new feature I found the other day. When you close a spreadsheet and get the message "Do you want to save your changes?", if you accidentally click NO, you can still recover it anyway. There is a new hidden directory called "Unsaved Files" created on your hard disk.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    decided to use the pc yesterday because the keyboard is better for number crunching ... got distracted and went home before saving (I'm so used to my mac which I just shut and walk away for days at a time without losing anything).

Anyway Mr Gates decided my pc needed to reboot last night for an update. So he just closed all my open work without saving it and rebooted my pc.

WHAT A F%$$ING useless piece of kit.

[rant over. now back to recreating my spreadsheet].
    USELESS ERROR!