Like Tree5Likes

Does anyone know why some websites in Hong Kong still require you to put www in the link address?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does anyone know why some websites in Hong Kong still require you to put www in the link address?

It's been bugging me for awhile. Can any tech savvy computer wiz explain that to me? Honestly, I'm curious.

For example:

http://hko.gov.hk will not work

while

www.hko.gov.hk works

What is this, 1995? Is there any advantage of making people type www. in front of web addresses? I know it's not that hard to type www. but 99% of all websites don't require you to do so, so when you come across the other 1%, you have to type the address again.

/rant

AsiaJason likes this.

There's really nothing specific to Hong Kong about this - it's true of many websites all over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLowrey:
    It's been bugging me for awhile.
    What is this, 1995?
    /rant
    irks me too. 'cause the fix is really really simple... in most cases. It happens to me at least weekly.

See this post that I think sums it up nicely: The Great DubDubDub Debate

Note:
    3. The www prefix is implicit and assumed outside the address bar. Even if you use it -- and many of the biggest sites on the internet still do -- nobody says the dub-dub-dub any more
    A hilarious point someone made in the comments:
    The worst part is that saying "double u double u double u" takes 9 syllables while saying "world wide web" takes 3. How many acronyms are three times longer than what they stand for?

Neil on April 30, 2008 6:35 AM

The administrators aren't very bright, low paid, and managed by similarly afflicted persons who assume every website must start with http://www. and end in .com.

.香港 domains are arriving this month just wait to see how many companies pick them up, yes it would be easier to type and converse in Chinese about but the Latin .com domain is still held in high regard.

(edit) lol, www is parsed as a valid host.

Last edited by MrMoo; 17-02-2011 at 04:35 AM.

agreed.

All routers must be updated manually. updating flash is not as simple as pressing a few icons and then - BAM. updated.

usually, and most of the time...a router's OS must be registered to be updated thru pre-payment system.

like try:

hko.gov.hk

why oh why Mr. Observatory, do I have to type WWW ????

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by AsiaJason:
    like try:

hko.gov.hk

why oh why Mr. Observatory, do I have to type WWW ????

Why oh why don't you f****** bookmark it then?!?!?!
    dipper, katiem84, shri and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Why oh why don't you f****** bookmark it then?!?!?!
    i'm waaay ahead of ya. it's *first* in my bookmarks bar. When I'm on the random computer checking on weather tho... I forget the useless w's

Click for large view
    Last edited by AsiaJason; 09-03-2011 at 07:18 PM.

Are people really this lazy now a days that typing a simple "www" is too much work?

Quote Originally Posted by justsomebody2:
    Are people really this lazy now a days that typing a simple "www" is too much work?
    Justsomebody2 - do YOU say "double u, double u, double u dot whatever dot com" when you are asked for a website name?

I know I *never* say, hey go check out this post on double u, double u, double u dot geoexpat dot com .... so why type it? it serves no purpose for the majority anymore

do you TYPE "www" before coming here to geoexpat? if not, that makes you lazy!

really, it's nothing to do with laziness. I type it. You type it. We all HAVE to type it sometimes. really, though, try this. t w i t t e r <dot> c o m. try many many other popular websites. you'll find it's not necessary. in fact, it's unnecessary these days to type it. It's a very simple thing to NOT require it in on the technical side. if you'll take a moment and read the link in my earlier post, you'll see a well made argument on why it's unnecessary.

It's really a matter of *expectation* nowadays. I don't expect to need to type it. So I don't. When a major HK government website requires it, it's a bit of a surprise.

whitehouse dot gov doesn't require it! why HKO?
    Last edited by AsiaJason; 12-03-2011 at 07:18 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast