Like Tree23Likes

E-book reader? Where to buy and which one?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

I haven't read through the post but wouldn't a Android tab do the trick than an e-reader? Might be a bit more expensive but the flexibility is great. With my Acer Android tab i can read Kindle books easily.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    B&N only sell in the US - you'd have to either find an imported one here, or import one yourself by getting a friend or a forwarding service to accept one for you and send it on. You also can't use the B&N ebook store without a proxy and possibly a fake address for your credit card, although Koko may be a valid alternative...

(I have a nook and a nook color, both of which I had sent over from the US)
    Ah, sounds like far too much work unfortunately. Is it the same with Kindles? If so, do you know of any good e-reader equivalents that can be bought locally (with local libraries)?

Virago - I'm looking specifically for an e-ink device

For those of you that are interested the Android Kindle Fire 7' is now on sale on Groupon this morning for $1999..

Original Post Deleted
    Is the Amazon library available in Hong Kong or is it restricted to US credit cards like the Nook?

I am thinking about getting an e-book reader. I had a look around WCC and 298 and couldn't find a single shop selling them. Am I being blind?

I am really looking for a bare bones cheap as you like e-book reader. It is really only for the book I am currently reading (a 1000 page hardback) which is a pain to carry around on the MTR.

Does any cheap as chips e-book reader (using e-ink) exist for, say, half the price of the bottom range Kindle?

Ok, thanks.

With Kindle, must you use the Kindle Store? Or can you transfer e-pubs and pdfs you already have onto the machine?

Pretty sure you can transfer them. Shouldn't be hard to check. None of the ones in local shops are any good; nor cheap - mostly designed for the chinese market.

EDIT - if you only want it for one book, why not borrow one from a friend? Happy to lend you mine (but it's not a great one, purchased on the single criteria of weight, not features!)

luckycat likes this.

Alternatively, cut the 1000 page book into five 200 page sections, carry the section you need, and then tape it all back together with duct tape when you've finished, a far more elegant and refined solution IMHO.

luckycat likes this.

Ha ha! I like it.

Unfortunately I am neurotic when it comes to books and papers. I can't bend page corners or spines on paperbacks. I feel revulsed just thinking about it! I would consider it easier to chop my own arm off than chop a book in half (or five)!

I carry books in a plastic protective wallet (yes, even the 1000-page hardback, having already removed the outside paper sleeve).

emmie likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast