Like Tree1Likes

PCCW Netvigator Windows 7 Update Error

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    29

    its not the router...router does not restrict its a setting on your pc the reason maybe its not working on ur 3 machines is ur updating the same critical update while windows7 has sp1 its having an error or maye a minor bug do a manual update choose only those important and disable temporaryly ur firewall and maybe ping ur ip add


  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sai Kungish
    Posts
    349

    I've had a friend staying for a couple of weeks and been busy tour guiding, now I'm back and still trying to solve this.

    Tried the WSUS offline update, that didn't work, tried a manual update that didn't work.

    We can't download anything at all relating to Windows on 3 seperate machines, there must be some way to fix it....


  3. #13

    I don't get any error. its working well.


  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sai Kungish
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph098765:
    I don't get any error. its working well.
    well that's good, thanks for that....

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,161
    Quote Originally Posted by kogia:
    Tried the WSUS offline update, that didn't work, tried a manual update that didn't work.
    That's overly vague, are you referring to the downloading or applying of the patches?

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sai Kungish
    Posts
    349

    Sorry for the vague reply.

    I had never used the WSUS offline before, I downloaded the up to date patch on the link, when I tried to actually install it it said it hadn't downloaded properly, I then downloaded it again and got the same error.

    The manual update, I can't remember exactly what bits I tried, I seem to remember selecting just the largest 'main' files, I got the exact same error message as before.


  7. #17

    I had this problem when I was on Windows Vista and 7. I just couldn't get any downloads from Microsoft. I fixed it by changing my DNS settings to the ones provided by Google: Google Public DNS
    That should help.

    kogia likes this.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sai Kungish
    Posts
    349

    chanjinhai I am currently very madly in love with you.... Four months in and that Google DNS change solved it.

    Give yourself a big gold star and I'll buy you a drink should we ever meet, thank you very much. I am so pleased to have finally got this annoying issue sorted, cheers again.


  9. #19

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    9

    Have you tried making pppoe connection and then retry windows uppdate?


  10. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    350

    Erm, the solution to this problem was already posted back in the third post of this thread.

    It pointed you to this previous GeoExpat thread on the same problem.

    It is a PCCW problem and the solution is to change your DNS server to 4.2.2.2 (this is what Microsoft Technical Support advised) or 8.8.8.8 or another open DNS (see instructions in above thread), as somehow PCCW's DNS isn't getting through.

    I too thought it might have been a Windows 7 SP1 service, as the problem started around the same time. This turned out just to be a coincidence though, as I realized I had the same problem on our Vista machine as well.

    Running back the date of the last successful running of Windows Update pointed to the problem happening right after PCCW replaced our old PCCW modem and Linksys router with a PCCW combo modem/router.

    Have no idea why that should be the cause of the problem, but it definitely is, as it began exactly on that date, affecting both Windows 7 and Vista machines. May follow up with PCCW about it, but I don't have the energy to tackle their customer support now.

    Surprisingly I had very good help on this from Microsoft Technical Support here in Hong Kong, by going to their support page and submitting a technical request online.