Like Tree3Likes

VPNs

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Has anyone got VPN working on iPhone/iPod Touch in the PRC?

I tried to get my 12VPN working but it seems, from previous comments, that PPTP has been blocked in China.

Any other options for iPhone?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:
    Has anyone got VPN working on iPhone/iPod Touch in the PRC?

I tried to get my 12VPN working but it seems, from previous comments, that PPTP has been blocked in China.

Any other options for iPhone?
    I managed to get OpenVPN running on my Ipod touch (OS 4.1), It works fine in China. But it took me days of googeling to find out how to.

Quote Originally Posted by hktraveller:
    I managed to get OpenVPN running on my Ipod touch (OS 4.1), It works fine in China. But it took me days of googeling to find out how to.
    Thanks, good to know it can work.

Any chance of the link that lay at the end of the "days of googeling"??

The problem with the iso-ne site is not your IP address it's that for some reason the URL is not resolved by PCCW's DNS servers. If you change to, for example, Goggle's DNS (8.8.4.4) then the site comes up fine.

It pays to take careful note of what the browser is telling you: "Can't find" the site is a DNS problem. "Can't connect to" or "No reply from" is a routing / blocking problem.

Last edited by PDLM; 02-04-2011 at 02:52 PM.

Interesting. This was from work using wharf isp, so no idea what DNS I was using (or indeed how to change it even if I did!)

Oh, OK, so not just PCCW's DNS. But my basic point still applies - read what your browser tells you.

On Windows XP you change the DNS in the Network Connections/<whatever connection you're using>/Properties/Internet Protocol/Properties screen. It defaults to "get the DNS address automatically" but you can put the address of any DNS server you wish in there.

Last edited by PDLM; 02-04-2011 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    i know with VyprVPN, i get almost full connection speed using my 30M. Anxious to try this weekend once my 100M is setup.
    BenderBends, how do you get to 30M on VyprVPN? Curious to know what your setup is. I'm using VyprVPN as well connecting by PPTP from my router, but the speed drops from 30M to ~1.5M. Thanks!

I'm currently using Netvigator ISP which requires me to dbl-click a WAN Miniport PPPOE connection under my Network Connections.

Any idea if I can even run a VPN on top of that? I've used a PPTP one before but that was in the past using a different ISP where I didn't have to configure a connection just to use the basic internet.

Am I stuck with using a proxy or something?

I'd love to hear any recommendations too. Need to get something up and running before the F1 this weekend! I used to use a VPN service called "My Private Network". Only a fiver a month but the speed suddenly tanked one month so I cancelled.

I've discovered a new service called Unblock-Us.com. Been using it for about a month and things seem to work.

Here's a little write up about it: Unblock-US (and an Android hack), proxy service to access sites abroad - browngeek's posterous

virago likes this.

Very interesting. Which sites have you tested that work?

Especially interesting with android use.