PCCW the saga begins - "Your physical line is fine sir"

Closed Thread

PCCW the saga begins - "Your physical line is fine sir"

A few weeks back I noticed that one of our GRE (not PPPoE) based circuits to Diyixian had framing errors on the line so I reported it. I was seeing about 1 CRC and Framing error every 3 seconds inbound, which means something is corrupting the data before it reaches us our router.

The PCCW engineer came over and swapped the modem which had been running for 4 years or more. I told him the problem was still there... He said there are no errors... I said with your laptop you will not be able to see Framing error and CRC count errors.

He told me the circuit is fine and that is that, and to call Diyixian. It is the first time that an engineer palms me off with an answer that like.

The fun begins now... PCCW will tell DIyixian it is our router, though I have changed from one wan interface to another. Then I will change the router as I have cold standby, then I will tell Diyixian that I am not paying until the circuit is right etc..

It is not an issue in reality.

The point is that I now realize that these guys can and do tell people what ever they fancy. I see that they leave people with fucked lines as most customers don't have the routers/tools to do the testing or don't know how.

Last edited by Fenix2; 24-03-2011 at 11:24 AM.

Unless you are going to pay for "full Internet connectivity", as small fry you are on the side of getting boned in the arrangement.

Last edited by MrMoo; 24-03-2011 at 12:13 PM.

Ha, is that what you think... I am not on Netvigator matey....

I have years of experience of dealing with this kind of shit, I've just never had an engineer which had that attitude...

And what do you mean by full connectivity?

Many technicians just give an implausible excuse just to get you off their back where most laymen people won't know. Unfortunately they tried it on the wrong guy!

Their idea of the situation, 'it's working ok so what's the fuss about!'.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix2:
    Ha, is that what you think... I am not on Netvigator matey....

I have years of experience of dealing with this kind of shit, I've just never had an engineer which had that attitude...

And what do you mean by full connectivity?
    I was guessing VDSL or VHDSL from PCCW, as opposed to a leased line at 10× the price, whereby you are only paying more for less incompetent support staff.

BUT... I thought one of the advantages of using Dyxian was they'll do whatever it takes to get you sorted out, even if that means witholding payments to PCCW.

I'm surprised that they've not seen the errors on their end. After all, they'd be monitoring their end too, right?

Or does this fall under normal error rates?

Welcome to our world...

Last edited by shri; 25-03-2011 at 12:55 PM.

crc errors can be caused by cabling, clocking issues or faulty hardware on telco side. I suggest you change your cabling first.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    BUT... I thought one of the advantages of using Dyxian was they'll do whatever it takes to get you sorted out, even if that means witholding payments to PCCW.

I'm surprised that they've not seen the errors on their end. After all, they'd be monitoring their end too, right?

Or does this fall under normal error rates?

Welcome to our world...
    Shri They can't monitor my side of the line as I requested to use my own network equipment. If they supplied the router they would be able to sort it out themselves. I spoke to the Noc guys and told me to request port change on at the exchange.
    Welcome to your world?

Netfront is in a bad shape due to the cable break and can't do much about it for a month....

Whilst we are on the subject anyone managed to use PCCW using corporate service will multiple IP with their own router?

>> Welcome to your world?

I wish. Actually I don't. Never did get past PCCW sales drones to anyone technical enough who could explain their solutons to me, so never did use them. Just glad you got it sorted... could never imagine what hell a regular user would have to go through ( my world...) to convince either DYX or PCCW that there even was a problem.