Assigned WPA encryption to my wireless router, but cannot connect from laptop

Closed Thread

Assigned WPA encryption to my wireless router, but cannot connect from laptop

I just purchased a TP-LINK wireless router and have installed it successfully. I chose "WPA encryption" and assigned a password during the installation process.

Now I tried to connect to the network using my laptop computer, but it does not allow me to connect. I cannot even click on the connection. There is a red X next to my network.

There are other secured networks available, and when I click on it, it prompts me to enter a password.

How do I configure my network to do this? Right now, I have reset my router to "No security". But I would like to set a password for it and be able to connect using my laptop.

Have you tried using other security settings? WEP/WPA2?

Firmware upgrades for the router, driver upgrade for the laptop?

We've come across some pretty weird situations where certain network adaptors just don't work with specific models of router and the only option was replace the router. This is very unusual though.

Have tried both WEP and WPA2. Same red X.

But when I mouse-over the red X, a message box appears saying:

"The settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network".

So it's gotta be some setting I omitted or screwed up on?

Does it work if you turn off the security on the router?

Quote Originally Posted by sxc:
    Does it work if you turn off the security on the router?
    Yes. It is off right now and I am connected.

Maybe, list your setup to further help you out?

Did you try to setup a profile from your computer, with SSID and the password? They should automatically connected.

There are a number of settings that could be causing this. Are you using WPA or WPA2? And is the security TKIP or AES? You can also try using the laptop manufacturer's WiFi utility instead of using window's built-in method.

One possible solution is to delete the wireless profile from your laptop and recreate it. Although that takes some clicking. Otherwise, you can rename your SSID, but that means you would have to update the other devices as well.

I contacted TP-link's tech support and they replied with instructions on how to change my SSID from the router's IP address. So I logged in to the IP, but it's all in Chinese, which I can't read. So I'd have to go back to where I bought the router and exchange it for an English version one. But I'll probably just get someone who can read Chinese to do it for me then.