Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bdw

PCCW port blocking madness!

Closed Thread

PCCW port blocking madness!

Hello all

Wondering if someone can offer any advice here....

Have a new PCCW connection (our only choice!) and I am amazed at how restricted it is with regards to incoming connections, port 80 being the real killer! However it goes much deeper than that; it seems they will not allow the RDP protocol at all - despite port forwarding from one of the few 'allowed' ports though to a system running RDP the connection never succeeds....

Has anyone else had this experience, is there anything that can be done?

I have raised a ticket with them, but so far my perceptions of their CS are not good...

All advice greatly appreciated! I am a techie, I was expecting a full connection, not a crippled one!!

Cheers

Scot

RDP works fine for me on the default port 3389. I also have some servers running on other ports such as 3392, 3394. Never had any problems. Also I am a little confused when you say port 80 is a killer. What is wrong with port 80?

Scothular likes this.

Ah, that's encouraging!

I mention port 80 as it means I am unable to host my website...

If you do not mind me asking, what package are you on? I have the 30M residential installation, non wireless as I have my own (Draytek) router/access point...

Many Thanks

Scot

Sorry I had a brain fart. I am not on PCCW anymore since I moved apartment. But when I was on them before, I also had the 30MB service and RDP was defintitely no problem. I would find it hard to believe they are blocking RDP now.

Just as an aside, you are aware that the residential Netvigator T&Cs include:

Your responsibilities: {...}(xii) only use NETVIGATOR BROADBAND for personal and not commercial, resale, profit making or business purposes.
    ?
    Last edited by PDLM; 28-03-2011 at 08:12 PM.

Indeed, however this is not a business venture, I am a techie, it's all just for fun, sad as it may seem....

If you just want to access your machine from other machines you control, you can consider a private VPN. Hamachi by logmein is free.
    Then you can expose whatever ports you want, albeit they will only be accessible from other machines on your VPN, but that may suffice (does for me)

I was told PCCW blocked port 80 for preventing spam activities or something like that. Here is a suggestion, use another port say 8080 on your personal homepage and then redirect to 80 post. I think this should help.

Quote Originally Posted by Scothular:
    Indeed, however this is not a business venture, I am a techie, it's all just for fun, sad as it may seem....

The solution is to change ISP get fixed IP and no filter (HK$300/month)or pay for PCCW corporate service. HK$800/month....

You just need a new PPPoE login/password to connect to another ISPs backbone with your current circuit....
    Last edited by Fenix2; 25-04-2011 at 09:24 PM.

On top of what Fenix said.. but like me, if its all for fun, why bother paying extra for something that can be easily worked around....

You can use no-ip to forward "yourname.no-ip.org" to "your-ip:8080", I dont have any problems with RDP, as far as I know, both port 80 and 21 are blocked by PCCW, I use VPN to upload remotely but thats another matter...