Good Headset with Mic for Mac / Skype

Closed Thread

Good Headset with Mic for Mac / Skype

Anyone know what headsets work best with an iMac. Was caught off guard when I learnt that the audio jack at the back is an output only device and one cannot plug in a microphone.

Figure USB is the best way to go?

Prefer not to spend more than 300HKD.

Shri, I have a philips heaset which comes with the 3.5 mm connectors and a deteachable usb connector
    Allows me to replace the headsets periodically without buying

If you go to 298/Wanchai Computer center, there are also USB audio adapters which are very cheap

I use a standing USB Mic (with soundcard to plug the Headset in). 98 HK$

Does an imac not have a microphone built in? (genuine question, I don't know). Reason I ask is because my macbook pro requires nothing extra for skype. Indeed, we use it as a conference phone in our meetings because the input/output sound quality for skype calls is so good! (all the folks on pc's have had to buy separate microphone/speaker combinations because the pc was awful at this).

Yes it is built in, but I'd prefer to have a headset for better quality, while using Skype.

Built in one works ok, comparable to the one built into my monitor on the PC.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Yes it is built in, but I'd prefer to have a headset for better quality, while using Skype.

Built in one works ok, comparable to the one built into my monitor on the PC.
    ok - perhaps the imac is not as good as the macbook pro then. I was pretty amazed by the quality of a skype call using the macbook pro as a large speakerphone.....!

HKFoot - You're assuming I have a bluetooth headset for the phone.

It does have bluetooth, but I'm cheap and would rather just get a USB headset (although with two phones, a monitor and keyboard connected to the iMac I've now run out of USB ports and need to see if the headphones or the phones can connect and sync with the development environment using the USB ports on the keyboard).

Yes, I have managed to complicate my Mac and almost make it work like my Windows 7 desktop.

HKFoot - Yeah, will take a look at the BT headphones.

Took a while, finally got my Dell keyboard to work properly with the Mac, with DoubleCommand. I can now use vi.. and Office with normal keyboard shortcuts.

There is hope that I can make this thing behave like a good unixy desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot:
    Shri - Congrats, you are no longer a MAC user.

Wouldnt a BT headset be cheaper and less complicated in the long run if you want to save some ports and wires dangling? Plus it will allow you the mobility to roam more than 1.5 meters from the machines.
    Why didn't I think of that?

In Sweden, several years ago, I had a portable Skype phone and it was by Philips. Looked and worked just like a normal phone except the base had a USB connection..All I can find here are the nasty USB ones with the cord. Does anyone know where we can get proper cordless handsets for use with Skype in HK?

In the meantime I will try the Blue Tooth solution - I hate the headphones (and my wife says I look stupid walking around the house with a netbook on my head)

>> Does anyone know where we can get proper cordless handsets for use with Skype in HK?

Seems like the Skype store has a few and they deliver to HK for free. No clue how price competitive the store is.