Accessing emails remotely with outlook on laptop and via iphone

Accessing emails remotely with outlook on laptop and via iphone

Hi all,
    Relatively new in town...I've moved here with work fromthe Uk and for the time being I'll be logging in to the UK server remotely to access emails. I'm currently doing it using outlook web access but found the functionality isn't great. Please can anybody explain what info I need (server address, email hosting type etc) and how to set it up so that I can access emails using outlook on my laptop? Also wondering how to configure my iPhone to access them when I'm away from the computer whilst still being able to see the emails on my computer when I get back. Sorry if this seems easy...but I'm struggling a little. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

I see no reason, prima facie, why the configuration of your laptop would need to be any different to access emails here than it was from <random ISP at home> in the UK, assuming you are using simple POP3 access. In what way does it fail?

Last edited by PDLM; 21-04-2011 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by robmcd98:
    Hi all,
    Relatively new in town...I've moved here with work fromthe Uk and for the time being I'll be logging in to the UK server remotely to access emails. I'm currently doing it using outlook web access but found the functionality isn't great. Please can anybody explain what info I need (server address, email hosting type etc) and how to set it up so that I can access emails using outlook on my laptop? Also wondering how to configure my iPhone to access them when I'm away from the computer whilst still being able to see the emails on my computer when I get back. Sorry if this seems easy...but I'm struggling a little. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.
    Via iPhone –please follow these instructions for iOS. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2480

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I see no reason, prima facie, why the configuration of your laptop would need to be any different to access emails here than it was from <random ISP at home> in the UK, assuming you are using simple POP3 access. In what way does it fail?
    Thanks for the reply. Sorry if I didn't explain clearly...it's the setting up of the pop3 that I'm trying to understand. There's not really a fault, just I don't know how to do it and what info I need regarding the Uk mail server to set it up. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry if I didn't explain clearly...it's the setting up of the pop3 that I'm trying to understand. There's not really a fault, just I don't know how to do it and what info I need regarding the Uk mail server to set it up. Thanks.
    ask your own works helpdesk as we can't answer what proxy server etc you're using.

Again, why are you changing anything? What worked on your ISP at home in the UK should work here.

Hi all,
    Relatively new in town...I've moved here with work fromthe Uk and for the time being I'll be logging in to the UK server remotely to access emails. I'm currently doing it using outlook web access but found the functionality isn't great. Please can anybody explain what info I need (server address, email hosting type etc) and how to set it up so that I can access emails using outlook on my laptop?
    So when in the UK, did you access the email in Outlook through the internet or just when connected to the company's (internal) network?

Also wondering how to configure my iPhone to access them when I'm away from the computer whilst still being able to see the emails on my computer when I get back.
    First you need to check with your company if they allow receiving the emails on a portable device from outside, and the people in charge will also know the data you need to put into the iphone.
    Secondly there should be a setting that will leave the emails downloaded to the phone on the server so that you can later retrieve them via another client (i.e. your laptop with Outlook).