Like Tree1Likes

router advice for 30M netvigator

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by p-cars:
    fenix my wife concurs with you, have a pint on me, cheers
    surely she must be saying something like "WTF are you doing wasting time on that forum..."

Quote Originally Posted by p-cars:
    football16 - the excessive bandwidth sharing at 30m subscriber level has compelled pccw to discount this service w/o reducing listed subscriber fee schedule vis-a-vis PNS $850 coupon - this bandwidth will slow to crawl during peak hours (inow tv peak hours because data bandwidth is co-op'd to make up shortfall in video streaming of inow service)

welcome to hk... and other places

installation fee is one time only plus you can relocate once w/o additional service charge

100m is better value for money than 30m

What is the cost for 100m?

I am not at all a techie type and based on what you are saying maybe I should just ignore the deal?

I use the PC for work from home but never play games or download movies so maybe what I have is fine. However, the PNS coupon makes this a better deal.
    Last edited by Football16; 27-04-2011 at 10:51 AM.

I had my modem installed today, they guy came an hour later than scheduled... I've been testing it on speedtest all day and i've not had a download speed rating higher than 3.20 mbps which is basically the same as when i had my 8m connection with my old modem...

@football - the girl told me last week she would email me a detailed description of the plan which I have been waiting on since last week hoping there would be more info about the free channels you asked about but I have yet to receive the email. If you get the 850 coupon to cover the modem fee and the additional 500 i guess it's not such a bad deal if you don't have to add to what you are currently paying each month.

Last edited by muerte852; 27-04-2011 at 09:46 PM.

I believe that Speedtest have a misleading name and should be called

"Inaccurate bandwidth measurement for decisive clueless idiots"

update: well i did some reading on my old adsl router (billion 7404vgo) and found a way to turn it into a router only, so i guess I won't need to buy a new router for now.

Someone mentioned that it comes with a router - yes a dsl modem/router but the wifi is disabled unless you subscribe to it for a monthly fee. i prefer freedom and the dude on the phone told me it wasn't 802.11n so i didn't subscribe. instead i will plug in my router to one of the modem ports as above and have wireless and voip etc.

That all said they came and installed it, the tv works but the internet light doesn't light up, and a tech is coming out to fix it. (been through hours of calls with tech support etc doing nothing useful)

final update here for anyone that is interested

1. problem was just that i didn't realise the config was PPPOE - was expecting to just plug in to the modem ethernet port, get an IP, and go.

2. I decided to update my tech a little and went and got a tp-link gigabit wireless-n with three antennae.
    The device well.. rox wireless b/g/n support up to 300Mb/s, 4 gigabit ethernet ports, PPOE, filesharing etc etc. The signal strength is awesome through walls in any room in the house (a little over $500)

The only downside is it doesn't have voip.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bottletop:
    Anyway, it doesn't really matter because what I want is simultaneous dual 802.11n and 802.11b/g.

Can anyone suggest a decent router for this setup?
    I think most of basic wireless routers work well for you. I'm using Netgear WNR2000. It has worked 1.5 years without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by muerte852:
    I had my modem installed today, they guy came an hour later than scheduled... I've been testing it on speedtest all day and i've not had a download speed rating higher than 3.20 mbps which is basically the same as when i had my 8m connection with my old modem...

@football - the girl told me last week she would email me a detailed description of the plan which I have been waiting on since last week hoping there would be more info about the free channels you asked about but I have yet to receive the email. If you get the 850 coupon to cover the modem fee and the additional 500 i guess it's not such a bad deal if you don't have to add to what you are currently paying each month.

They convinced me to take the deal and I added (not working yet) some TV channels for $199 monthly as I am tired of what I had. The free offer was ONE sports channel so I got the entire sports package and quite a few other channels of my choice.

They come tomorrow but I will be here and will make sure it all works before I let the guy leave.

I am one of the techno dummies.. yes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3