Rip DVD without changing Drive Region setting?

Closed Thread

Rip DVD without changing Drive Region setting?

I have a DVD movie - region is SEA(3). My drive is currently set to region 1.

I want to rip it to my HD, but it is trying to force me to use one of my 5 changes to region setting. Before giving in, is there a way around that, or is it hardware/firmware so it simply is not possible (easily) to get around it?

ie, even clever DVD ripping apps can't access the drive's raw data if the region setting is not set correctly, right?

Hi,

there is plenty methods of dealing with DVD even when the region codes are different. the method you can use depends on how good you know computers and how much time/patience you can dedicate.

there are some open source solutions that are free to use but this will require allot of tuning and setting, you can save money but not time and frustration, you could use commercial versions which are easy to install and use, but they are not free.
    I did try many of them free and not free and if you have Linux as the system you should be worry free in terms of regions and If you wish I can provide some solutions for linux in separate message;

if you have Windows based machine then you probably should check program called AnyDVD, they are really good but not so cheap but very good, they offer not only region free solutions but also other solutions like making back up copies of your favorite movies, etc. just google them and have a look if this is something that you are looking for.
    Sometime ago you could even download full 30 day trail version for free and see if this is the right solution for you. so go ahead and try ;-)

<deleted>>>>>>>>

Last edited by AsiaJason; 25-05-2011 at 06:56 PM. Reason: just maybe....too much

by the way, before anyone says too much; I legally own the dvd in question, and I am exercising my right to backing it up.

if this isn't appropriate topic - kindly let me know

Depending on what kind of dvdplayer (brand/model) it is, there might be custom firmware available to flash (so it becomes regionfree)

flashing DVD drive firmware is potentially dangerous and can damage drive permanently especially when wrong image is used; and require some IT knowledge to do it.

of course flashing the drive firmware can be used as the solution but not all DVD drivers can be flashed.

besides system from Apple will not allow you to play the movie even when you have region free DVD drive; their system other protections that will make your live more difficult when you will try to rip/copy or even watch movie even after changing/flashing DVD drive to region free... for example their player (soft for watching movie) has additional code that will not allow you to play a disc with PRC on a region free DVD drive...

are you using an apple computer, there no problems with window based rippers

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    are you using an apple computer, there no problems with window based rippers
    :-)
    are you trying to say that you are running/using on your Apple computer software dedicated for MS Windows system?

no, but a hackintosh would be great as the pc and mac share the same hardware, also get rids of jobs ever growing barriers/limitations on his products.

i gather the op has to live with the region lock in his mac or use a pc to rip and convert and transfer to his mac, which is defeating the point