Like Tree2Likes

Apple repair costs

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

i believe this apparent apple engineer says it all

Apple Inc. | Rip-off Report: 629227

Quote Originally Posted by sxc:
    There is an official policy for iPhones in the US which are out of warranty but need a new battery - you pay US79 to get a refurbed iPhone replacement which has a new external case, and looks and feels new.

Compare that to the stories we hear in HK where Smartone/Three/CSL say they won't replace the battery blah blah and sign up to a new contract. I hope the presence of an Apple store here breaks that down.
    That's just typical HK non-consumer friendly attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    That's just typical HK non-consumer friendly attitudes.
    Exactly. And I'm looking forward to the Apple Store being a place where I don't have to deal with that.

Exactly. And I'm looking forward to the Apple Store being a place where I don't have to deal with that.
    We'll see how it turns out, but I suspect that the HK apple store will follow the normal norms of customer non-services that we are used to in HK.

My iPhone 4 had a cracked screen but I didn't bother doing anything about it as it was smallish and didn't have any effect on the operation of the 'phone. Then a couple of months ago the home button began not working intermittently. I took it to Smartone who said policy was not to replace the 'phone as there was other external damage to it.

The very nice lady gave me the number for Apple Asia Pac. I called them, they asked for a couple of photos (they're based in the Philippines) to confirm the crack and home button problems were unrelated and authorised Smartone to issue me with a new free iPhone which I collected a day or two later.

Excellent service by anyones standards I thought - it would have been very easy for them to refuse and charge me for a replacement.

This is why I'm looking forward to the Apple Store opening in HK....so that Apple's official policies and repair prices can be applied here, rather than be at the whim of a third party provider.
    And that'll be yet another store where the mindless masses queue to spend their hard-earned dollars and happily march back to their hovels (or mainland China) with their new status symbols. In fact, the retail launch should coincide with the distribution of the HKD 6K if the 'government' ever figures out a way how to distribute it.

HK non-consumer friendly attitudes, are you sure or just apple servicing policy?, sony ericsson, marantz/denon, bose and nespresso others have great customer services/service centre within HK.

the fact it takes less than 24 hours to repair a phone within sony ericsson's service centre while it takes 2/3 weeks on average within uk.

they can even loan you a phone ( requires a deposit though)

I have dealt with many mac computer repairs (as well as higher proportion of so called write offs) within shanghai, auckland, sydney and HK, they all have similar experiences.

I struggle to fathom how anyone can say service providers here are well run. Now at Wah Fung ... who quoted me (after a long, clear and exact phone conversation yesterday) HKD700 for a new hard drive (installed) ... have now changed their mind and want to charge HKD1000+. In any other country with consumer protection laws you could claim mis-selling and/or a verbal contract being binding, but here????? HK SO needs some consumer protection laws!

EDIT: OK... back down to HKD950 now.....

Last edited by MovingIn07; 31-05-2011 at 06:16 PM.