Like Tree2Likes

Apple repair costs

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Apple repair costs

I've been told my old mac died because of a hard disk problem. Seems odd because it was an intermittent fault but, what the heck, paid HKD600 for them to test it ....They want to replace the hard disk but the price quoted seems pretty high. Does anyone have a feel for how much it should cost? Or if there are cheaper places that can recondition an existing hard drive? I would then be using it as a "spare" so don't really want to spend a fortune on it.

OK - I answered my own question - yes they were a complete rip off. Just rang up a different Authorised Service Centre and was quoted a price of LESS THAN HALF what these guys were suggesting. So much for standard Apple pricing in HK!

how much did they quoted for a " mac' compatible hdd?

even worse, new gen of mac ( presume the pro ver will not be affected), have non replaceable HDD

'Upgraded' Apple iMacs lock out hard drive replacement • The Register

thus, Mr Jobs has a nice little earner system for making servicing on their products prohibitive expensive or non replaceable thus a shortened product life on thier products

The first guys CASE in Causeway Bay quoted HKD1,600 for a replacement hard drive (and I don't get to keep the original one); the Wah Fung people in Mongkok quoted HKD700 for the same.

All the more reason not to drink the Apple Kool Aide. The Ipod is awesome, as for the rest of the crap they sell? Total hype and bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    even worse, new gen of mac ( presume the pro ver will not be affected), have non replaceable HDD

'Upgraded' Apple iMacs lock out hard drive replacement • The Register

thus, Mr Jobs has a nice little earner system for making servicing on their products prohibitive expensive or non replaceable thus a shortened product life on thier products

Check out sham shui po. There you can get it fixed for a cheap price

No one is asking you to buy mac. But if you do then you should already be aware of the high repair costs.

message deleted.

Last edited by huja; 30-05-2011 at 06:56 PM. Reason: oh never mind

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    No one is asking you to buy mac. But if you do then you should already be aware of the high repair costs.
    You miss the point. The point was the deviation in costs from one "authorised" dealer to another when they are all supposed to be the same.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast