Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Fenix2
  • 1 Post By Jdayrutherford
  • 1 Post By Jdayrutherford
  • 1 Post By MrMoo

Ubuntu help

Closed Thread

Ubuntu help

Anyone well versed in Ubuntu? I just install Natty and am trying to run some service. Not sure which startup file to edit or conf file to edit. Would appreciate a little pointer or 2 for a newbie. In return I'll share my stash of aircraft peanuts with you.....

I've not looked at Naty and quite honestly my head is messed up from all the differente flavours of Linux / BSD and how the start their serviices/damons... on the command line.

at least in X windows....
    System > Administrator > Services or around there...

How many grams of Peanuts do I get...?

ycchai likes this.

What service? Natty is the most recent release (11.04) with the unity interface, quite different from previous versions. And for dome reason they are kind of dumbing down ubuntu in recent versions, removing the service manager etc. Trying to appeal to a wider audience I think.

Take a look at bum (boot up manager). Install through synaptic package manager.

ycchai likes this.

Hmmm. Thanks. So I should go back one Generation? I noticed Natty is really slow like a bloated Windoze. I used the 8.XX version before and it was quite reasonable in terms of speed etc. Running Firefox on Natty was painful as it took 3-4 times longer to load than Chrome. I liked the older version better and like you said I think they are heading down the wider audience arena too, which is sad. Anyway back to my problem.

I was trying to install X11vnc and ddclient, which I did, they worked but due to my lack of Linux knowledge. I'm a bit stuck at configuring my VNC to run as service and i'm using these 2 as guide
    Jungwoo's Blog
    VNC as a system service. | a community for beginners and experts
    I shall take another stab at it tonight

As for ddclient, it says on its website:
    You can run ddclient as "/usr/sbin/ddclient -daemon 300 -syslog" and put it in your startup scripts.
    Where is my start up script? couldn't find it with all the files hidden. Is my rc.local my startup script? I put my samba service start in there

boot up manager eh, I'll try that as well. Thanks

2 peanut for you Fenix for your effort and the rest to Jd hehe

start up scripts in Ubuntu

Rc local might work but the ubuntu (unix system 5 style) directory is in
    /etc/init.d

Here is a page that describes this, but rc.local should still be read at boot time
    and that is simpler

On the 11.04 ubuntu, I am not finding it that slow really, its just that the Unity
    interface is a bit confusing. I find the old style menus easier, and you can revert to those still quite easily:

Ubuntu 11.04: how to disable Unity and use Gnome

I am starting to get used to unity some, but am not sure I see the advantages. But I suppose if you look at it from the viewpoint of someone that has never used linux and does not know or care to know anything about the operating system, then it makes a sort of sense.

John R.

Quote Originally Posted by ycchai:
    Hmmm. Thanks. So I should go back one Generation? I noticed Natty is really slow like a bloated Windoze. I used the 8.XX version before and it was quite reasonable in terms of speed etc. Running Firefox on Natty was painful as it took 3-4 times longer to load than Chrome. I liked the older version better and like you said I think they are heading down the wider audience arena too, which is sad. Anyway back to my problem.

I was trying to install X11vnc and ddclient, which I did, they worked but due to my
    lack of Linux knowledge. I'm a bit stuck at configuring my VNC to run as service and i'm using these 2 as guide
    Jungwoo's Blog
    VNC as a system service. | a community for beginners and experts
    I shall take another stab at it tonight

As for ddclient, it says on its website:
    You can run ddclient as "/usr/sbin/ddclient -daemon 300 -syslog" and put it in your startup scripts.
    Where is my start up script? couldn't find it with all the files hidden. Is my rc.local my startup script? I put my samba service start in there

boot up manager eh, I'll try that as well. Thanks

2 peanut for you Fenix for your effort and the rest to Jd hehe
    ycchai likes this.

You are right, unity is quite messy. I too prefer the old gnome. I'm not blind and don't need those huge icons.

Well at least my ddclient is fine as it switch IP everytime I reset the modem.

SO only thing left is where to put the config for x11vnc. Can I put in a command line in rc.local for it to load? the last time I tried it it generated some messy stuff and didn;t work. Didn't really have time to mess with it but lets see how it goes this weekend

And thanks for the tip on switching gdm

Gnome includes a VNC server called Vino, there is a menu option to enable it:

Remote Desktop Sharing in Ubuntu

Use X11VNC if you want to share the desktop from the login prompt, the software includes documentation how to modify Xorg.conf in order to enable it.

It's all documented in Ubuntu Help:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC/Servers

But there is also another one called Remote Help Assistant which works well:

Download Remote Help Assistant

ycchai likes this.

Thanks. I've tried Vino but their rendering was quite slow/laggy, x11vnc is better. Also Vino is fixed to port 5900 which I didn't want to use for security reason.

I've also read the help on Ubuntu website but couldn't quite make heads or tails out of it.

Just reread karlrunge site and noted they have a little gui. Will try it later. Haven't had time to play with it for a week now