Like Tree3Likes

Grrr, internet options

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

By way of update, HKBN business called me and are offering me HK$248 a month for a 12 month contract (initially 24 month). This is 100M download and upload. They said its a 100M dedicated connection locally (guaranteed) and shared connection for overseas connections (best efforts).

This is a business broadband connection, so hopefully that would mean connections will be better? Or not really?

100M shud be between two HKBNs...not between HKBN and PCCW/HGC/I-cable..

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    This is a business broadband connection, so hopefully that would mean connections will be better? Or not really?
    My hope exactly

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    where were you when i was asking about HKBN???? too late for me..will be installed tomorrow.
    I posted in several threads warning people about HKBN. Several members here have had problems with them. I feel bad for you but hopefully you don't use overseas bandwidth (US/Canada) much and don't need to call them for support.

I just called up a guy working at Dlink who uses HKBN for biz and he says its about the same as the home connection with higher prices and crappier China cust service.

They are currently (last week) offering $169 after rebates for a 1000m line on a 24 month contract. The sales guys have been calling me up to renew and I don't plan to even if they offer me the same package for $1.
    Last edited by JaredHK; 04-07-2011 at 06:54 PM.

Jared, thanks for the warnings.

Bender, keep us updated on your experiences with business HKBN.

2 weeks before I got bb100M+phone+some worthless channels (HK$119/Month) and I am satisfied with it. I was using I-cable 10M but on weekends i was never able to watch Youtube without buffering. I don't download so much but if i can not even see Youtube with out buffering than i consider it very bad service. I-cable guys came 3 times and on the final occasion the guy rudely told me that Youtube is overseas website and so buffering is OK and he clearly told me angrily that i can switch to other service providers if i like. Listening to that was like a shock for me so finally i had enough, sold I-cable contract very cheaply and got bb100 installed.
    May be in my building I-cable got some very heavy usage customers but with bb100 i never once have problem with Youtube. And strangely enough, i find it more easier to reach HKBN customer representative then I-Cable.

Bender, any update on service levels?

sry....been out of office a bit. will reply once i review later today.

well...here are my speed Test results:

HK is great:

International is quite poor, although speedier then I had on my 6M line, so can't complain.

pin likes this.

I also just tested usenet speeds...
    Via my Giganews US server, I was pulling in around 11.5MB/s