Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 100LL
  • 1 Post By reprazent

Anyone got an SPDIF cable spare?

Closed Thread

Anyone got an SPDIF cable spare?

I need an SPDIF cable you get with your motherboard. It connects the graphics card to an audio output.

I've got ten generous bucks (HKD) waiting for anyone willing to let go of their cable.

I posted this in classifieds, but posting here seems more apt.

Cheers.

I'm sure I have a few lying around back home (not in HK), why don't you go to Golden computer centre in SSP?

periphery831 likes this.

I just came back... exhausted. I went to the center, the one behind it and the really old looking one. One of the retailers even took me to their back room and nothing.

How can three computer centres and this huge back room filled with accessories not have this cable. =/

Last edited by periphery831; 07-07-2011 at 09:13 PM.

Just to be clear, it's a 2pin cable, one connector is black, the other white.

Go to Welfare Electronics in Apliu Street, in the 1/f they have electronics components. Buy connectors and wires, and make it by yourself. If you don't have what it takes to make it, ask them to quickly put it together for you. If they don't do it, I am sure they can point you at the right direction (one of the mobile phone repair shops downstairs maybe).

WECL Online

Thinking of it, they may actually have something like this lying around. Maybe with more wires/pins, just cut it down in this case.

It also reminds me of the audio cable that comes with CD-ROM drives (haven't installed one of those for like 6 years or so) and goes from the CD-ROM drive to the mainboard of the computer (to output CD audio). CD-ROM drives are cheap, maybe you can pick up a brand new one for a hand full of dollars nowadays. There is also a second hand and "ancient parts" computer store on Apliu Street when you walk from the MTR exit towards the road with Dragon Center, on the right side. Maybe you can pick up a CD-ROM drive there.

Sun Cheung Computer Co or one of the adjacent shops:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=apliu+...,45.08,,0,6.52

Last edited by 100LL; 08-07-2011 at 03:46 AM.
    periphery831 likes this.

Thank you for the lengthy and informative post 100LL, appreciate it.

I'm not a dab hand at electronics, but will give the two links you mention a whirl.

Thanks again.

Found it. Forgot there was an eBay in HK.

eBay.com.hk : Nvidia GTX 260 275 280 285 290 SPDIF HMDI Audio Cable (item 260791548325 end time Jul-27-11 00:19:24)

Thanks again for the responses chaps. =)

Definitely available at Wanchai Computer City. Two stores on the upper floor: One is a small unit about on the left-hand side halfway along the corridor when walking straight after coming up the main (up and down) escalator, the other one (also on the left-hand side) is bigger and one of the corner units if continuing along the same corridor (to the left of the place with reams of paper listing component prices).
    They are related/connected, so should only have to check with one of them (they might run off and get the item from the other store). Have most things in stock and/or will make for you right there (custom length Ethernet cables, etc.).