Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pin

2 PCCW DSL lines for load balancing: which router to use

Closed Thread

2 PCCW DSL lines for load balancing: which router to use

I have a max of 1.5 Mbps line at work. Per suggestions at another thread, I've got quotes from all other players for running new lines, and of the few that can, management won't pay the $20-50k to run new lines as they may be moving to new office soon.

So my next best option that is approved by mgmt is to order a 2nd DSL line from PCCW (both at 1.5mbps) and use a load balancing router for roughly 3Mbps. Better than nothing!

I've found the Cisco Small Biz RV402 Dual WAN router for about $1100 here.

Will this work? Any comments?

Anyone who successfully did this or something similar (with PCCW DSL circuits)? Should I anticipate trouble doing this with PCCW?

Thanks

Last edited by AsiaJason; 04-08-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Wouldn't 3G be faster?

Do you really need 2 x 1.5mbps connections?

Dual-WAN, that is two non-routing connections, is a really dubious technology and breaks a lot of applications. Consider that with the web you pretty much have to force all traffic to one site through only one router which immediately loses any potential performance benefit.

Check the previous discussion on the topic:

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/1...ead183861.html

I believe pfSense 2.0 has better support for dual-WAN now but haven't tested as I'm using the second WAN for guest-only access.

You have a 1.5M Line, I assume its a T-1 synchronous connection fiber at the MPOE to Copper hand off which is the normal SOP. DSL lines are mostly Asynchronous certain MB down and low up.

What you dont specify is what the traffic is, incoming or outgoing and whats your current utilization on the existing circuit.

It's Async, 1.5M down 56K up. Normal traffic - just browsing the internet.

Current utilization on 1.5Mb? dunno. I want to double my bandwidth.

3G for a small office (10-15 systems)? What kind of router would you get for that?

Try the ZyWall line from ZyXEL:

ZyXEL

A second DSL line from the same carrier will not increase your download speeds FYI. DSL connections are shared lines all the traffic will eventually propogate back to the same DSLAM MUX.

If the bottleneck anywhere within the loop between the DSLAM, Router, Etc, then you will just end up with 2 slow connections.

You are better off asking PCCW to increase your DSL line bandwidth to 8megs versus having 2- 1.5 megs.

Quote Originally Posted by AsiaJason:
    It's Async, 1.5M down 56K up. Normal traffic - just browsing the internet.

Current utilization on 1.5Mb? dunno. I want to double my bandwidth.

3G for a small office (10-15 systems)? What kind of router would you get for that?
    Last edited by HongKongFoot; 05-08-2011 at 02:08 PM.

PCCW won't increase the DSL line bandwidth, or we would have gone that route.

What I understand you're saying is that if the bottleneck is outside our building, we'll still have a bottleneck of 1.5mbps, right?

How can I verify where the bottleneck starts, can you give me some pointers on who to reach / what tests I can perform?

My assumption is the bottleneck speed of 1.5mbps is within the *floor* of our building, as right above us, PCCW, HKBB, et al., provide speeds up to 100mbps. There's 40 stories of living on top of us. It's just our floor which is 90% unused for many years, hence PCCW has not upgraded the lines/equipment for some time, and probably won't. They refuse to provide anything faster than 1.5. Other providers either don't have wiring (wharf) or simply use PCCW's wires for their service. HKBB and 1 or 2 others were willing to run fiber, but mgmt wasn't willing to pay the sums.

Have you looked at CSL's LTE as an alternative?

4G LTE minisite

AsiaJason likes this.

Thanks Pin, that just may be the ticket out of 1.5m hell