Like Tree1Likes

Ip camera nightmare...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ip camera nightmare...

I have got two ip cameras that don't seem to work outside the home network (can't get remote access). I have no idea about computers or how to set these up and would greatly appreciate any help that would resolve this problem.
    The problem started because my wife was constantly nagging me to get internet cameras in place for when our domestic helper arrived so that we could monitor her with our daughter so technically this is her fault.
    PLEASE HELP..... or this might be the last thing I do....

Last edited by Torynn; 22-08-2011 at 09:25 PM.

Go and ask your Neighbours teenage kids. One of them will configure them no problem

I wish it was that easy... I think I may need to call in the professionals... Does anybody know of an IT guy that can sort this out?...... Ps I can buy buy lots of beer and stoke up the BBQ.

just go to the store where you bought them (or any comp. store in any mall) and arrange a housecall...prob. about $300 and you'll be up and running in no time...

...and yes, these 'professionals' are probably the kids from next door...

sounds like you need to start here though with a free dyndns account...the kids can fill in the details...

Last edited by anothercanuck; 23-08-2011 at 10:36 PM.

There are some IP cameras built to specifically avoid the manual setup required here, some support video over MSN Messenger which is pretty cute, or stream to a Internet website where you can download or view from.

Axis cameras, not even remotely cheap, but very good quality:

Internet hosted systems | Axis Communications

MSN Messenger example:

Zavio IP Cameras and Video Servers - Network Video Surveillance Solutions | News

Is the problem that u can see the cameras when connected to ur network but not from an external connection?

Yes. I can see/use the camera in my home network but can't get access remotely. Not sure why. Hope you have a solution. Thanks.

Port forwarding on your firewall for starters. A fixed public IP address for later.

Though frankly, paying someone from a computer store to fix it for you is probably the best suggestion.

OR ... at the very least let us know what camera you have so we can perhaps research them.

i configured my panasonic wifi camera with minimum hassle. they are about $2000.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast