VPN Router

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

VPN Router

hi

I am currently using Dlink router ( not with VPN) and also using IP cameras
    Now i am planning to get the IP PBX for my office . I am told by the provider to Use VPN router to protect my system from the possible hacking

I am suggested DRAYTEK 2910G model which also have wifi feature
    pls let me know if this will be sufficient enough for the protection i need and is this easy enough for me to set up and replace my runing Dlink router as to not disturb my LAN and IP camera. i can do basic settings myself but i am not a techie

Also share the suggestions on any other models within the same budget ( 1000-2000 hkd) that is easy to handle myself

rgds

Why don't you get a router that support DD-WRT, and install the stuff yourself.

Yeah.

Go here. Check the router first before purchase. If you are going to spend over $1000 for a router it is probably going to be OK.

Router Database | www.dd-wrt.com

BTW prefer Linksys routers. They are the best in my books.

thanks pin for your quick reply
    but as i said i am not a techie , will DD-WRT solve my purpose for getting the VPN and required safety ?

also i need to search for DD-WRT if it really solve the security issue

People asking technical advice for personal use is one thing, asking for free technical advice on a non technical forum for a business they are running or are working at. Sure get a VPN router to secure your PBX.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot:
    People asking technical advice for personal use is one thing, asking for free technical advice on a non technical forum for a business they are running or are working at. Sure get a VPN router to secure your PBX.
    it is not that i am asking for any technical advice. i am initially just asking if a particular router can solve my purpose and any user using that as i understand/ believe that a sales person will try to sell whatever he can earn most /whatever he has got at his stock for

Agreed with HongKongFoot. You are are non-techie, asking about IT security for your business. And having read your question three times, I still can't figure out exactly what it is you need.

My advice- pay some freelance tech guy to come in to figure out what your requirements are, give you some options, and then set it up for you.

I would guess that you can speak Cantonese? If so, it should be simple to ask around for a local technician who can come and fix this up for you quite cheaply.

A dd-wrt enabled router will probably give you the functionality you need, but we can't tell what it is you need, because you haven't been able to clearly articulate your environment and intended usage of your systems, or even why the issue of VPN is coming into it at all.

Edit: If the question is "can the Drayetk support VPN", then the simple answer is "yes" according it it's specifications. Whether you can figure out how to set this up and/or troubleshoot this is another matter.

Last edited by jgl; 29-08-2011 at 03:33 PM.

I have got the Draytek 2910 installed for the IP BPX and would like to know if
    all the VPN Clients need to have the same Router as this is what my technician says when i ask him about Buffalo WHR-G300N

"This model not support the VPN client. Due to different brands can have some different on their VPN encryption or communication methods. So it is suggest to use same model router to establish VPN tunnel to avoid compatibility issue"

I am not convinced with what he says as i understand Buffalo WHR-G300N cannnot support IPsec but Can support PPTP which should be suffient to use in client side to be used as IPBPX extension at my home and my family and Draytek at home/s will not be very cost friendly

wow.. you really did not do any homework on this and just went with what the technician said?

If you require VPN to secure a voice or video over a network, you really should hire a professional..

Most standard VPN that are used for remote connection or just data sharing can be accessed through a VPN client (software).. IPSEC 3DES encryption terms comes to mind at the moment

some that I have messed with are..

Greenbow VPN Client (tested mostly for Netgear based VPN routers)
    Shrew Soft Inc
    and Cisco VPN Client

You can check those out and see if they fit your need, there are more complex VPN networks that requires "tokens" (random generated ID's and or numbers that are in sync with a server that's generating them), but these will be far out of your budget range.

You cant use a client on a PBX unless its some janky software driven PBX on windows. What they have they will not be able to do a VPN on. Im not even going to bother to try to explain to them what they need to use.

They need a network engineer, not some sales person. They refuse to hire one, im not going to give out tech support for free.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast