Mobile broadband options?

Mobile broadband options?

I'm having a total nightmare trying to sort out a fixed internet line in my apartment (my fault for renting out in a commercial building, I know).

I'm now looking at the option of one of these mobile broadband offerings with the likes of SMV, PCCW Mobile, CSL, etc.

Anyone had any experience with them?

Ideally I would want it for heavy downloading and streaming.

At present I'm using CSL's prepaid offering at HK$78 a month. Download speeds are not the best (but bearable), but streaming is fine. Also general surfing is fine (actually faster than at work).

I would need it to connect up to several computers, but also would want to be able to tinker with the router settings.

I am loathe to sign a two year contract, but that is what the options are it seems.

I do like the look of CSL's LTE offering, but its a USB stick and I'm not sure if I could find a router to plug it into (CSL claim this can't be done).

Any other bright ideas / thoughts / experiences?

I use smv. No good for heavy downloading.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using GeoClicks Mobile

I had lunch today with someone (who I think is a pretty straight guy) high up in CSL, and he was extolling the virtues of LTE. He claims that they can genuinely get 21Mbit/s to many devices connected to the same cell base station (unlike 3G which slows down horribly if multiple users try to hit it hard on the same cell). No idea whether or how you'd put that through a router though. I guess you could have a dedicated PC as some sort of gateway device.

The performance always depends critically on where you are relative to the base station, interference and who you are sharing the base station resources with. Lte will have fewer people on cos its new, but it operates in a higher frequency band so coverage will be worse than 3g.

if your office has a great view across the harbour/high up (why? Cos then you can see the interference from many other base stations each operator has >1000) and your mobile has crap call performance then you shouldn't consider mobile broadband for the office/home.

Last edited by zerocred; 02-09-2011 at 11:29 AM.

Tethering on my phone using PCCW, I get up to 10 Mbps. If I didn't already have a DSLcontract, I would just use that for my main internet connection (since my DSL is capped at 8 Mbps)

Thanks for the insights guys. HKBN actually were able to install today.