Could a non-Hong Kong wifi router be better?

Closed Thread

Could a non-Hong Kong wifi router be better?

I was poking around with my wifi today and noticed that there are probably 25 other wifi networks 'visible' on my machine. That got me thinking would it be better to pick a channel that those others machines are not using, and then it got me thinking if some wifi routers offer channels that others do not? I seem to recall in an HK router that I have it asked me to pick a region in the setup, and then I saw something on wikipedia that other countries use different channels.

List of WLAN channels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So if I had a US wifi router with a US computer (and a US wifi card) could I benefit by using a channel not available in Asia to (likely) avoid interference from other routers and networks near me, or is my understanding of wifi channels a bit off?

this could get you started - Dan Dar3: How to find the best wi-fi channel

Tips
    * pick a channel not used by your neighbours
    * keep in mind channels overlap

I am not aware of any wifi devices offering channels that other wifi devices do not.
    The reason the device asks for your region is that different countries have different regulations pertaining to the frequency ranges available for wifi use.

Dont most modern routers have an "Automatic" option and they intelligently switch to the best channel on the fly?

Yes, they do have that. I was just wondering if I might benefit from a 'private' channel basically that the majority of local machines are not using. But I also wondered if I'm using a frequency reserved for someones TV remote or phone or something here in HK.

Simple answer, no. You would also be breaking the law.

Easy solution is to move to 5Ghz, pretty much empty and it is quite a wide band compared with 2.4Ghz.

Assuming you're on b/g, according to that Wiki article, only channel 14 would give you any advantage. And that'd only be on Japanese 11b gear, which would be 1) hard to find a router for 2) hard to find end devices for and 3) be bloody slow.

I don't believe that 11y is used in consumer gear, so that wipes out the 3GHz range.

If you are worried about b/g interference, use a notebook/android phone and run a wifi scanner on it (INSSIDer is a good Windows one) to find out what chanels your neighbours are using, and choose a channel that doesn't conflict with other strong access points. You should only use channels 1, 6 or 11.

Or just do what MrMoo suggests and switch to 5GHz.

Thanks for the replies. I kind of figured it would be against the rules.

To be honest, this was more for curiosity sake. I ran CAT 5 through the walls for my main machine and am already using 5Ghz for one wifi nets. My friend down on Caine Road said he saw 45 networks one night so I was kind of wondering if this might work for him, but guess he should look at a different option as well.

Thanks again.

I concur with using only channels 1, 6, 11 otherwise you receive the intereference from twice as many channels they overlap.

I recommend a handy Android app called WiFi Analyzer that has a nice display of the 2.4GHz channels and can help you find the quietest..

However, if someone nearby is using one of those wireless AV/TV extenders they can completely wipe out most of the WiFi band - even if it shows up as a 'free' channel using most AP scanners - unless you have proper RF test gear.

BTW I have flashed new firmware into my linksys and it can do channel 14 - but nothing else can...

Last edited by zerocred; 31-08-2011 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zerocred:
    BTW I have flashed new firmware into my linksys and it can do channel 14 - but nothing else can...
    Pretty sure anything running tomato firmware can do chan 14

I think the point zero was making that even if you get your router to run on channel 14, none of your other devices (laptops, phones, PCs) will be able to. So all you end up doing is isolating the AP off the network. Which would be especially comical if the change were effected via a laptop using wifi.