Like Tree27Likes

what is up with the way HK do buisness?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

what is up with the way HK do buisness?

Well ok This is a Rant...

Me and my mate, we are planning to do a killer h2o rig.. Dual Xeons, SR2, 24GB 2000mhz ram, Killer NIC, XIFI, (2) 240gb SSD raid 0, (3) 580 SLI, 3D surround, etc.. with all the high end gaming accessories..

So we go shopping... We visited a few stores and was told they don't carry the stock on hand and that it will need to be ordered.. This is fine..

We was told that shops don't stock these since with depreciation and lack of demand, it will cost them more to stock it and unable to profit if not already taken a loss.. understandable..

So we proceeded to leave deposits at a few shops and was told item will be distributed to them via their respective distributor in a few days time.. okay...

2 weeks go by, no phone calls... so I give them a call, was told "still not in stock".. and that it will take a few more days, will call me... okay.. not annoyed yet...

3 weeks go by.. still no phone calls... starting to get annoyed...

4 weeks go by, getting a bit peev'd, so I give them a call to find out what's going on... I can get a package here from Africa in a month, or walk from one end of HK to the other on foot.. How long can this take? I expressed my feeling toward this politely as possible and told them I am doing a project that is on a deadline, the reply was either "distributor don't have stock", "distributor sent them the wrong stock", "the person in charge of ordering is taking the day off", etc... getting annoyed..

The ironic thing was the ram I was looking for, I found at another shop upstairs that sold mostly corsair products, but the salesman from the shop downstairs where I left a deposit with told me his distribution contact gave him the run around...

of the 6 shops that I ordered my gear which include a list of boutique fans, hardware, liquid cooling components, custom sleeved cables, etc.. none of them offered a return of my deposit or even a simple "I am sorry Sir, we are working on this as fast as possible"... Some of them even sounded a bit rude and acted like they was doing me a favor..

The only shop that did not take any deposit even though I offered was Linke Computers, they even told me straight forward that they may not even be able to order the stuff I need, as they would try to order and contact me once they have it in stock. Kudos to them..

$100 here, $300 there, $500 there.. It may not seem like a lot of money, but when you put together all the people that are ordering stock, that's a lot of money... Money left in THEIR bank to collect interest while they are ordering or attempt to order your goods..

Moral of this story is, if it's not in stock, forget asking them to order it.. just order it directly overseas from a major vendor.. The time I could have saved just paying a bit on shipping and handling would have saved me more time calling these jack offs and running back and forth..

/rant off

Last edited by justsomebody2; 27-09-2011 at 09:50 PM.
    dear giant likes this.

Sorry, you lost me at "killer h2o rig"

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Sorry, you lost me at "killer h2o rig"
    sorry... it's a water cooled high end PC
    bookblogger likes this.

did you at least get a receipt for your deposits? you do know that hk is notorious for "no refunds" right? you sound like you have no idea what shopping is like here... just for future... you are unlikely to get your deposits back if you end up purchasing what you want from someone else...

dear giant likes this.

They obviously want your money first, but distributor speed is out of their control.

If I can I prefer to import items myself.

dear giant likes this.

In Hong Kong people will advertise stuff they don't have, never have had and are never likely to have in stock.

They will staff their shops with people on minimum wage who not only don't care about you, they will even treat you with contempt by not looking up from their iPhone while talking to you.

Taobao is your friend..

dear giant likes this.

All this is completely normal. The HK market runs on price competition and super thin margins, which comes at the expense of product variety, customer service or competence.

If you are super choosey about what you want, order from overseas.

Somewhat irritatingly, prices here are still higher than in the US, but that's probably a mixture of a smaller market and locked down distribution channels.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomebody2:
    Me and my mate, we are planning to do a killer h2o rig.. Dual Xeons, SR2, 24GB 2000mhz ram, Killer NIC, XIFI, (2) 240gb SSD raid 0, (3) 580 SLI, 3D surround, etc.. with all the high end gaming accessories..
    Your electric bill's going to skyrocket.

justsomebody2: What ended up happening with the deposits that you gave and which the shop owners didn't offer to refund?

Did you try the Wan Chai Computer Centre?

There is a shop there that just sells the high end very flash looking case that you want, and close by is a shop called B-Tech Systems that I have used for eight years now and found them reliable.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast