Hard Drive Data Recovery

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hard Drive Data Recovery

Anyone know of a good reliable place to take in a faulty disk drive for some data recovery?

It's a friends from their laptop and the connections don't match any cables I have so I can't check anything further about it using my pc (ie download recovery software).

There are a couple of shops in the Wan Chai Computer Centre that I have seen advertising this service.

Never used them so no idea how good they are.

Quote Originally Posted by kogia:
    Anyone know of a good reliable place to take in a faulty disk drive for some data recovery?

It's a friends from their laptop and the connections don't match any cables I have so I can't check anything further about it using my pc (ie download recovery software).
    Are you sure there is not an adapter on the HD that suit proprietary cables on the laptop? If there is, removing will probably reveal a standard connection.

I have seen this before on an older ATA HD from a Toshiba laptop

Thanks for that, I guess we'll head there if there's nowhere else with recommendations.

Sorry Stoob, didn't see your post, all I have is the drive, not the laptop. There are no adapters on the drive itself.

Last edited by kogia; 17-10-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks for that, I guess we'll head there if there's nowhere else with recommendations.

Sorry Stoob, didn't see your post, all I have is the drive, not the laptop. There are no adapters on the drive itself.
    The adapter I encountered before was difficult to detect at first look.

Is it ATA (44 Pins) or SATA (7 + 15 Connections, i.e. not pins)?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:
    The adapter I encountered before was difficult to detect at first look.

Is it ATA (44 Pins) or SATA (7 + 15 Connections, i.e. not pins)?
    If the OP is indeed unable to find the connector on the drive and/or identify the correct cables for it, I would suggest that (s)he is probably not the right person to try to fix it/extract data from it...

Quote Originally Posted by beachball:
    If the OP is indeed unable to find the connector on the drive and/or identify the correct cables for it, I would suggest that (s)he is probably not the right person to try to fix it/extract data from it...
    If a woman is unable to wire a standard 3 pin plug does that mean she should not do the ironing?

I'm not a totally techie person, so I may start to reveal some dodgy ignorance here as we get into more detail, but here goes.

To me it looks like its a 4 pin power socket next to 2 flat pin connections (one wider than the other). There's definitely no adapters.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:
    If a woman is unable to wire a standard 3 pin plug does that mean she should not do the ironing?
    Not a very good analogy, better one would be to ask whether she is the right person to do the ironing if she cannot figure out how to plug the iron in...

I'm not a totally techie person, so I may start to reveal some dodgy ignorance here as we get into more detail, but here goes.

To me it looks like its a 4 pin power socket next to 2 flat pin connections (one wider than the other). There's definitely no adapters.
    Seems to be a standard SATA connection (The wider of the flat connections is the power, not the 4 pins)

You can get a USB to SATA connection kit fairly cheaply from any of the computer centres.

Last edited by Stoob; 17-10-2011 at 01:26 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast