Like Tree5Likes

Destruction of Android!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Destruction of Android!

BBC News - Steve Jobs vowed to 'destroy' Android

He is also quoted as saying: "I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion [£25bn] in the bank, to right this wrong."
    Must be reassuring to any Apple shareholders that their investment could be ruined over a personal grudge!

I suppose he has missed out on the first part of his threat though.

Apple already lost, us android users overtook the smartphone market just last week!

BBC News - Samsung overtakes Apple in smartphone shipments

Welcome our new overlord.

His hypocrisy is astounding, he ran the world's most famous tech stealing company, and just before his death released a new phone OS that stole Android features and played them off as his own (like every other "game changing" feature they have released recently).

The guy was just bitter and got jealous when others succeeded without his help, and always has been.

Last edited by methosb; 01-11-2011 at 08:53 AM.

>> smartphone shipments

Not sales.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    >> smartphone shipments

Not sales.
    When you are talking about high end mobile phones, what is the practical difference?

Shipments with vendors like Samsung, HTC etc involve pushing product into the channel (distributors, wholesalers, retailers) in anticipation of the Christmas sales. Vendors can often push (or "ship") a large amount of inventory into the channel on very liberal credit and return policies.

Also, they're saying smart phones. Which does not mean "high end". Basic phones do email and internet browsing and can be considered "smart".

Apple on the other hand reports product sold v/s shipped.

Not saying that its been done by Samsung and the like... but it is common practice in a channel driven model.

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought there would be much excess (and therefore returnable) stock. I also wouldn't have thought it was the manufacturers pushing the products, but the demand of the suppliers. I stand corrected.

Wouldn't "smartphones" in the context of that article be those running on android? They would all be high grade, no?

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    Wouldn't "smartphones" in the context of that article be those running on android? They would all be high grade, no?
    Nope, there are also low grade smart phones, basically anything that plays in a different, lower class to the iPhone / Samsung Galaxy SII / LG Optimus 2X. And that's why this "my Android dick is larger than your iOS dick" comparison is stupid to begin with - comparing a single, high grade product from one manufacturer (iPhone with iOS) with all low to high grade products (which to run the same OS) from every other manufacturer is like comparing the sales of a Tesla Roadster with all hybrid cars on the market.

Want to be fair? Then ask Samsung how many Galaxy SII they are selling. But not that it really matters, as a customer you have the choice and everyone can decide for him/herself which smartphone and/or operating system they prefer. So why care how much the other party is selling (or shipping)?
    Last edited by Raccon; 01-11-2011 at 11:16 AM.

Didn't know Samsung reported sales figures. They only report shipments from what I have gathered.

Would love to get a good idea of what their actual sold unit count is and the avgerage price per unit for the IIs is. PCCW just offered me a set for free on a 2 year contract with no money down.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast