Like Tree5Likes

Is P2P BT download legal?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hmm - 100GB is pretty big imho. I'd say something more like 10-20gb is more "normal" but I have little to base this on.

I see. 10-20gb is like a movie per week... Maybe I should try out those with lower resolutions.

Thanx for the clarification Coombsey - I didn't realise he was the originator either.

Its all illegal!!!

You are all going to hell!!!!

HowardCoombs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    Thanx for the clarification Coombsey - I didn't realise he was the originator either.
    The word "originator" may be a bit misleading. Here is a decent summary:
    http://www.marks-clerk.asia/hk/asset...Bittorrent.pdf
    MovingIn07 likes this.

P2P BT as a technology is perfectly legal and should be the preferred way of distributing large files.

Content is a whole different story and has nothing to do with P2P BT. If you are downloading or streaming material that is copyrighted and not approved for such use (online download and streaming) then its illegal.

In practical terms,
    - you are a bigger offender if you first bring such content onto the network.
    - keep a low profile and dont overdo it.

Last edited by krypton; 21-11-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebettyho:
    @HowardCoombs
    Thanks Howard. Just want to clarify, I know that some online watching websites use P2P tech. What I am referring to is actually those websites where you register and get a code for your BT software, so that you can download from other members registered on the same website using the BT software. This is also people normally do in HK right?
    Yes, this is what most people do, this is what I do every day as I download countless programmes for myself, wife and kids - we dont watch normal TV anymore and all the video content we consume is downloaded. I choose to take the risk as do many others.

But at the end, its still illegal. There is no line and if someone decides to go after you (or me) there is no excuse for it.

Would you download a car?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    Would you download a car?
    Last edited by vmlinuz; 21-11-2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Bah, no embedding - click through!
    Rob2020 likes this.

My personal "line" is that I download TV only - I do not download movies. As far as I'm concerned "TV" is something that always used to arrive free at the TV set (and I still maintain a TV with a license in the UK, and most of what I watch is UK tv) and most of what I watch would be freely and legally available if I were in certain countries (such as using BBC iplayer in the UK or the similar things in the USA). So, as far as I'm concerned, I'm not taking revenue away from anyone because most of these things are freely available and it's not much different to videoing last night's TV and sharing with a friend. But that's a moral judgement not a legal one. It equates in gb terms to 1 or 2 shows a day at low resolution (don't see the point in downloading those huge high def versions just for TV).