Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pin

HKBN, usenet, Highwinds

HKBN, usenet, Highwinds

As quite a few of you know HKBN seems to cap foreign internet access to around 20M.

I've been using usenet companies that use Readnews and Astra while with HKBN, and these were pretty much capped at 20M.

I know I could use Giganews without any cap (as they have an HK server), but its double the price of most other usenet providers.

However for some reason a bunch of Highwinds resellers (like Newsgroup Direct and Thundernews) are getting speeds up to 70 - 90M.

Just an FYI for anyone who uses HKBN and wants a faster usenet connection but doesn't want to pay Giganews rates.

BaconBreadBaker likes this.

Actually, I'm looking for a Usenet provider now, and want advice on providers given the following:

My home connection is only 5mb (brand new village house, old country road wiring), so nothing special. I don't need $ premium for speeds.

I would like the cheapest, with probably less than 10g per month.

How important is it getting a local server (like giga)?
    How important is SSL on PCCW? (for torrents)?

Any recommendations? Should I start a new thread?

Last edited by AsiaJason; 07-12-2011 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AsiaJason
    Actually, I'm looking for a Usenet provider now, and want advice on providers given the following:

My home connection is only 5mb (brand new village house, old country road wiring), so nothing special. I don't need $ premium for speeds.

I would like the cheapest, with probably less than 10g per month.

How important is it getting a local server (like giga)?
    How important is SSL on PCCW? (for torrents)?

Any recommendations? Should I start a new thread?
    Suggest you try a few out. Most of them have free trials.

Have a look at Supernews, Astraweb, Thundernews and UsenetNow.

Yes, I am posting from an Android phone, got a problem with it?

Astraweb totally rocked me on a billing issue. I was getting double billed, since they use a third party billing service. A complete pain every month to try to get it stopped, after a couple months of fighting with them i cancelled the service and still lost out on 2xDouble billings, despite multiple emails to support.

Using Newsdemon now....getting up to 60/70Mbps with no issues