NOW and iCable through a dual WAN/load balanced router?

Closed Thread

NOW and iCable through a dual WAN/load balanced router?

Hi

I've just started researching dual WAN routers and was considering getting both NOW and iCable service in my house in the hopes I might get better speed (primarily for streaming from overseas). I'm not entirely sure how dual WAN routers work--is it just failover or do they actually spilt the download across both pipes?

Has anyone tried something like this?

Actually now that I've posted and seen some of the similar threads listed below I think I've got my answer. If anyone has some new info in the last few months feel free to post.

Well, depends what your answer you got from the other posts is..

I was one of them (I think) and our speed at work was 1.5mb total - no possibility for upgrade... so I went that route. Got a Draytek 2900 series, and balance between PCCW's 1.5mb, and Smartone's unlimited 3G (20+mb in theory) via 3G USB stick.

It's a nice solid stable router for the two (dsl and 3g), and supports a ton of USB dongles.

You will run into troubles with some browsing/services breaking, as some of the other IT smarties on here have detailed out, but for the most part, it works. Don't expect to add the two bandwidth's together though. That is not how it works. Really, you're gonna get maximum of whatever your max link is. So it *may* help you if you want to stream over one connection. Maybe not though for various reasons.

Last edited by AsiaJason; 07-12-2011 at 08:08 PM.