Like Tree1Likes

Help adding a wireless repeater to the network

Closed Thread

Help adding a wireless repeater to the network

I am trying to add a wireless repeater to my network to get more (better) coverage in the flat.

I've activated the "Enable Wireless Repeater" feature on my Netgear wireless router and switched to WEP security (because the Repeater function only functions with WEP or no security). Fine. I do this and change WPA passwords to WEP passwords on the laptops. Laptops connect to the wireless network. So far so good.

I follow the install wizard on the included CD-ROM from the TP-Link Wireless Repeater I just purchased. It guides me through and the light indicating that it's linked and working goes on. However, my computer tells me there is some sort of IP address conflict. This is when things start breaking down.

Now when the TP-Link Wireless Repeater is on and connected (as per the indicator light), my laptops cannot connect the the Netgear router - or any signal for that matter. Networks are a bit out of my depth. I only know there are some conflicts in the settings. Any suggested solutions?

Last edited by huja; 30-01-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Call the guy in the computer to shop to come out and set it up for you for a couple hundred bucks.

Works for me.

Original Post Deleted
    Thanks for the reply.

Question: Doesn't the homeplug system require sockets to be on the same circuit for it to work? I'm not sure that is the case of where wireless router is and where I'd like to place the repeater.

BTW, I ended up getting the repeater setup by using a different laptop. No idea why that worked, but it did.