TP-Link router suddenly not connecting

Closed Thread

TP-Link router suddenly not connecting

I've been using the TP-Link WR841ND wireless router for the past 3-4 months and it has worked perfectly, until last week when it suddenly stopped connecting to the internet.
    (I'm still able to connect to pccw netvigator using the modem).

I've tried resetting, restore factory settings, reinstalling, replugged, changed cables, changed IP address of router, cloned MAC address but to no avail. Is there anything else I can try? Thanks for any help.

A few suggestions:
    When you are on the setup page of your router (I think the address for TP-Link is 192.168.0.254 while router/laptop are physically connected via ethernet cable) check these things:

-My PCCW internet account requires ID and password. Did you make sure those are correctly programmed into the modem?

-Is the the wireless option activated? Not sure about the TP-Link, but my wireless router has a light indicating it is broadcasting. Is there such a light and is it on?

-After the reset you did, are you sure the security code on your router and laptop match?

-I had issues setting up my TP-Link Wireless Extender with my laptop. Simply would not work. I was only able to set it up using a different laptop. I'm sure there is some technical reason why my primary laptop and the TP-Link product wouldn't play nice together, but I don't care to do the legwork to find out why since I found an effective work-around.

Hope this helps . . . wireless networks are finicky things.

Thanks for the suggestions. All settings appear to be correct but still no connection to the internet.

I've been researching on the internet and it seems to be a common issue, maybe something to do with those Windows security updates. I will have to wait for my techie friend to have a look since I only have basic computer knowledge and don't want to mess with things I don't understand. Thanks anyway.

Does your laptop detect the network? Does a different laptop detect the network? If a different laptop is able to detect the network, issue is with your laptop. Perhaps you switched off the wireless on your laptop on accident?

The problem is that even the main computer which is wired to the modem and router cannot connect to the internet anymore.