Like Tree35Likes

raspberry pi

Closed Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14
    Quote Originally Posted by LoughtonLion:
    Thanks. I'm going to order the device, a case and SD card from RS.

If you search for Raspberry Pi on their site, a whole section of FAQ and getting started guides is displayed. It says they sell SD cards pre programmed with the operating system, but don't provide a link to the cards. Any idea which one to order? They recommend an 8GB one.
    I think its a great gift for a nine year old if you have time to support them with it. A Pi, a box and an SD card...okay, what about a keyboard, a mouse, a HDMI ready monitor or extra $s on converting that signal to VGA or whatever.

It would be an extremely rare nine year old who could be 'let loose with it' that would actually get anything out of it.

If you want to get him into programming can I suggest the EV3 materials from Lego? More expensive, granted.

I have both by the way!

Sent from my HM 1SW using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by LoughtonLion:
    Does anyone know if I can pick one of these up in the Wanchai Computer Centre? Is it a suitable gift for a 9 year old? What accessories should I buy with it to get him going and interested straight away? Wireless keyboard & mouse? He's heavily into Minecraft.
    Edit: I originally missed the bit about a 9 year old.

I am not too familiar with what 9 year olds are capable of, but I would not consider a RPi to be a suitable gift for the majority of them. Maybe for an exceptionally precocious and very geeky one. I know a 7 year old kid who is precocious and is probably going to grow up to be a complete math geek/engineer and he's nowhere near using a Pi without guidance.

If the kid just wants to play and have fun, a Pi is going to be a sore disappointment to someone used to the convience of a tablet/smartphone. Most of the stories involving Pis and kids in the tech media seem to involve a fair bit of guidance from adults/teachers.
    Last edited by jgl; 26-07-2014 at 08:47 PM.
    shri likes this.

And to add to that there is no "I built my computer" thing with the PI. It is a single board which goes into a plastic case and is connected to a power supply.

It does not run Windows and takes a fair bit of effort to load up Linux on it. Not for the ordinary kid for sure.

Just to add, @ LoughtonLion, kudos to you for considering this type of gift though. There is extraordinary amount of disposable crap you can buy for kids these days.

Sent from my HM 1SW using GeoClicks mobile app

taobao get the nano pc's they run windows and linux awesome and snappy. also i saw one on here for sale also in the classifieds. they run twice as much as a pi but a pi is a pos honestly.

New and improved: The Raspberry Pi 2 is 6x faster. Quad core with 1GB of ram now and still the same size and price as the older model it replaces (the B+).

Raspberry Pi 2 appears two years early with substantial hardware upgrades

pin likes this.

Seems it will also get a version of Windows 10 for free.

Yep .. just saw that on Slashdot. Windows 10 - opens up some more possibilities for a media center.

Now if we could get 4K video out of this ... would give me an excuse to upgrade the TV.

Ordering 8. 1 x Raspberry Pi MinecraftEdu server coming up!

Closed Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14