Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pin

Electronic security while in China

Closed Thread

Electronic security while in China

Check out this article in the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/11/te...1&pagewanted=1

Personally I think the dude is going a bit too far, but an interesting read in any case.

JaredHK likes this.

Great story.

I think for certain level people and organizations this makes very good sense as the risks and sensitivities are very high for some. For this institute it makes a lot of sense just to instill good security discipline into their people's practices.

If I were the Chinese traveling to the USA or other countries I'd do the same.

If you are to believe the size of the listening units in China you know they not only have the means with technology but vast numbers of people working this stuff.

In other countries in the west the limits of surveillance are the sheer difficulties of amassing the numbers of people and paying them. China has little difficulty there.

Prevention is better than dealing with the aftermath in both instances.

Most of it is reasonable for high level corporate or government travellers.

The only flaw in reasoning that I could identify was the bit about installing keyloggers- if that has been done then the entire machine is compromised anyway, so I'm not sure what the point of 'cut and pasting passwords from a USB stick' is. Though this could just be a result of a poor journalistic translation.

From a more general-traveller perspective, I cannot understand why people think that it's safe to use PCs provided by hotel business centres or at internet cafes, in any country.