Like Tree1Likes

Building a Home Theatre PC (HTPC)

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Original Post Deleted
    Brit, can I ask what sort of wireless router you are using?

Have you also tried changing the wifi channel?

It's a near perfect device the only problem in setting it up was some network share issue with broken SMB in OSX Lion. I downloaded the free 'NFS Manager' program, took a couple of (easy) minutes setting that up and it worked flawlessly. It works out of the box with Windows I believe.

Original Post Deleted
    other question, do you have a dual band modem, or is it single band?

Also another thing that affects wireless modems is how many devices are connected to it. For example at my home I have several devices connected at one time, meaning streaming can be a pain. However if I turn off some of the devices, streaming becomes a bit better.

Original Post Deleted
    Yes, sorry, I mean router.

Quote Originally Posted by dth:
    It's a near perfect device the only problem in setting it up was some network share issue with broken SMB in OSX Lion. I downloaded the free 'NFS Manager' program, took a couple of (easy) minutes setting that up and it worked flawlessly. It works out of the box with Windows I believe.
    Thanks for the advice on Lion, I will look into that tonight.

If your router is close enough to the wdtv it is probable just as easy to plug an ethernet cable in leaving the only wireless connection the one between the mac/windows device and the router.

Original Post Deleted
    Hi, you have a single band 2.4 GHz router. How many devices are you connecting to the router?

As for channel interference, download a program called inSSIDer (I think someone else has already mentioned this somewhere else).

Here is a good write up detailing how to use the program: Change Your Wi-Fi Router Channel to Optimize Your Wireless Signal - How-To Geek
    TheBrit likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Hmm, OK. I presume you connect your media streamer via wireless? I note your router is a few years old. The newer routers are dual channel, so you can split connections.

I'm actually facing a similar issue with my router (about the same age and similar specs) and from reading around it seems a router upgrade may be the way to go for me (on top of upgrading the wireless card in my laptop).

Quote Originally Posted by ycchai:
    It really depends on what you are trying to achieve by doing that? Do you want to do recording or just extend the Cable TV to another room. There is no simple solution. I did a lot of research on the TV tuner card when building my HTPC as I was also trying to stream TV via IP out of my home. The cheap ones only allows for decoding free to air TV. The expensive ones doesn't quite make sense to me as they were really expensive. Bear in mind the input will be RCA if from the NOW decoder and antenna for air TV

Hmm- I would mainly be using it to extend the Cable TV to another room and give me the option of recording. Is there a particular (English) website you could recommend?

Original Post Deleted
    Newer routers (and wifi adaptors) now run on dual channel modes of 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

Quote Originally Posted by mlclau:
    Hmm- I would mainly be using it to extend the Cable TV to another room and give me the option of recording. Is there a particular (English) website you could recommend?
    extending cable -
    Wireless TV Signal - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at Nextag - Price - Review
    you can get these quite on ap liu street in SSP

If you do the above, then you'll need to figure out how to train your cat or dog to change the channel for you in the other room. Which is the issue i'm facing now. I'm looking at some infra red solution but they need some expensive automation software. I'm still checking if there;s some alternative. I bet there must be some form of remote remote controller at ap liu street that goes with the wireless tv.

Recording wise, you just need a cheap TV capture device. But bear in mind that the compression of video at real time really chews up the CPU even at low resultion. (I could show you the video stream currently coming from my home but I can only turn it on for like 2 minutes before my aging CPU burst into flames) And getting a video encoding card Capture Card list - VideoHelp.com which relieves the CPU does not make sense as they cost a bomb. You are better off getting something like this Magic TV Hong Kong - Home.