Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By shri
  • 2 Post By 100LL
  • 1 Post By virago
  • 1 Post By MrMoo

Individual desktops or terminals (Windows Environment)

Closed Thread

Individual desktops or terminals (Windows Environment)

Hi,

We are a small office setup (about 8 people). We need to replace our computers as they are old. I was thinking:

a) Instead of buying expensive desktops for each person, can we buy a massive server and user our current (slow) computers to connect as terminals?

or for 8 people, is it more cost effective to buy separate desktops.

We need to be in a Windows environment and have to have Microsoft office on every computer.

Thanks!

Do you have the personnel and know-how to support the server? If you go the server route and the server goes down everybody goes down.

I am somewhat of an IT guy. But, that's not my primary job! If it's too complicated, we'll just end up buying desktops but I know how to do Domain Controller administration/Active Directory administration and we can also hire someone part time if we really need to.

I am not sure if all this is an overkill for 8 guys. We might grow soon though

Just bought a decent Dell Desktop for $5.6K ( including 23 inch monitor, 8GB RAM and a 1TB drive ). Cost of 8 of these would run you about 50K.

The cost of the server would be far more - given that you'd probably be buying it new here in HK. AND you'll have to spend on "terminals" which will essentially be desktops configured like the one above.

You're not going to save on licensing costs...

You're overthinking it ...

Buy cheap Windows notebooks. And cheap LCD screens (or re-use the existing ones) if they need something bigger than the notebook screen.

You already have an Office license I suppose, so why buy a new one?

Good advice. Thanks guys!

Workstations still might be able to offer the right solution. You need to talk to a supplier on this.

Also if you are talking about 8 PC's then you might be able to get business account discounts with the majors such as Dell, HP etc and they might be able to throw in network setup and development if you negotiate that in.

Last edited by virago; 01-03-2012 at 09:34 PM.
    ltcommander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL:
    You already have an Office license I suppose, so why buy a new one?
    Unless money was thrown about a lot, I would assume those are OEM licenses so the software is lost with the hardware.

Terminals are an option for security reasons, unfortunately financial is never on the list. There are exceptions for large purchases which is occurring in very limited markets: Home : Multiseat Linux Desktop Virtualization And Secure Centrally Managed Computers - Userful

It's HK you can pickup desktops for HK$2,500 easily.

Actually I think licensing on terminals tends to be more expensive as you need client and server licenses for many products and many sell in packs.

For an alternative adventure you could be very forward thinking, or entrepreneurial and sponsor your workers to buy their own laptops and provide them with Office licenses or even more financially prudent go with Office 365. That way you save a lot of money and your workers will look after the machines a little more.
    Last edited by MrMoo; 02-03-2012 at 09:42 AM.
    ltcommander likes this.