Any computer mega stores?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any computer mega stores?

Hi,

I was wondering if there are any mega computer stores around here like a CompUSA-type place? I went to the computer market at Wan Chai (which was fun) but was wondering if anyone has taken computer retail to the nth level?

Guess I'm a bit spoiled coming from a place that had CompUSA, Best Buy, Circuit City, Microcenter, and a Frys all within easy driving distance.

What would you have found in CompUSA that you cant find in Wanchai Computer Center? You can even find the occasional pimply faced geek behind the counter in Wanchai.

You might want to try Star Computer City for a couple of slightly larger shops.

To be honest, there was nothing I couldn't find in Wan Chai. It blows away a CompUSA. I was just wondering what else HK has to offer.

Have you visited Golden Shopping Arcade in Sham Shui Po? That is the computer/console shopping haven of HK.

There has been a couple of attempts of building a mega store here but with the volumes and competition at these computer malls, no mega store can match the price and selection. Don't expect great service though :-)

A more refined computer mart is Windsor House in Causeway Bay; 10-12 Fl.

if you want to get down and dirty, i would definitely go to sham shui po and mong kok computer center. you lived near frys? haha, i don't know if i'd call it a mega center.

Hello, please forgive me for blistering on to this thread, but I cannot figure out how to start a new topic. I am in the market for a real Chinese computer, because I cannot figure out how to use the Microsoft IME for traditional Chinese fonts. This would allow me to email language exchange friends who are not on the mainland. I have read some of the forum threads, but have not found anyone who is looking for a Chinese brand computer with Chinese software. They are not currently available in the UK. I am prepared to buy online, I have bought from Hong Kong before, and only had problems once (with a forgotten item). Also, if any of you good people out there happen to know of a computing forum or group that might cover the problems of English versus Chinese software, could you please point me in the right direction? Any assistance will be much appreciated.

??? If it's just e-mail, then why the need for Chinese software? Just download the free Google pinyin IME, has traditional and simplified characters. Very, very easy to use if you know the pinyin but won't have the Cantonese slang words

Last edited by ray98; 25-08-2009 at 03:42 PM.

potunghua input , not cantonese input ?

some problems mentioned
    Google Pinyin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Smile

Aha, thank you, that will be a great help. There is another point, though. A Chinese friend recently posted a website for his business. I noticed a few little alterations that had to be made, so I downloaded his source code and pasted it into Notepad. However, when I tried to view the corrections on my browsers, there were obvious formatting errors and the displayed fonts had defaulted to monospace. A warning message came up to say that some characters could not be read. I think this is because the page creation software was originally in Chinese, so eg the font declaration line could not be recognised by my PC browser (although obviously it works OK on the real internet). I may wish to do this exercise again at some time in the future, and as I am learning Chinese, I thought that using a real Chinese computer would help my language skill. Anyway, thank you for the information Ray, it was good of you to help. I shall now go and check out the Google page.

Oh, you might need a chinese english online dictionary to help you with the pinyin. I use On-line Chinese Tools but it's not that comprehensive, but gets me by.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast