Like Tree7Likes

Where can I buy a Kindle in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where can I buy a Kindle in HK?

Id' like to buy a Kindle. I don't want to buy it online if possible (Have experienced problems with international shipping before, plus I'd rather just go and buy it, open it, and use it).

I guess it should be around $1000 HKD, include a warranty, and be from a reliable source.

Has anyone bought one here?

It's getting to the stage where I feel stupid not having a kindle... I saw a book I want, and it is $10USD on kindle, or $50USD (plus shipping) to buy the real book! Ridiulous!

Thanks.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I thought Amazon was the sole supplier. There's another local reader about.

justjoe86 likes this.

justjoe86 likes this.

I just saw one the other day at Foresoon I think in Sheung Wan. There are a couple of small places just across from Wing On and down a bit that carry a bunch of gadgets. I saw a kindle in the window there.

justjoe86 likes this.

I thought amazon was the sole supplier too, but I saw someone with a kindle, brand new, in the box, on the MTR. I asked them if they bought it in HK. They said yes.

I realise I should've asked for a slightly more detailed location!

If I have to buy it from amazon I guess I will wait til I'm back in UK this summer. I've had a couple of shipments go missing/ not arrive, and I am getting a bout of DearGiant-esque paranoia thinking maybe someone is stealing things. So I don't really want to get expensive things shipped.

OK guess I'll go for amazon then. But I've already had a refund once on a shipment of books which didn't arrive. I don't want them to think I'm some kind of dodgy geezer!!

Edit: I can confirm Amazon have great Customer service.

My grandad accidentally bought 8 kindles instead of 2 (well, he must've got a bit trigger happy with that mouse!) and I had to help him with his 6 refunds..

To this day I call him Grandpa Kindle.

Last edited by justjoe86; 20-03-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Had some CDs arrive really late with Amazon. Refunded the postage.

Joe, you see this one book which is really cheap and then be surprised when you see, in many cases, the paperback is cheaper than the Kindle version. I don't have a Kindle but have the Kindle app on my iPad. Kind of pisses me off sometimes.

True Claire but living in HK, if you want a specific book, I'd say that in most cases it is going to be considerably cheaper to get the kindle version, especially accounting for the shipping costs/ time. Page 1 doesn't exactly have a wide range especially if you're not after a book about business/ economics which seems to take up about half of the HK bookshops!

Then again some books aren't available on kindle.

It's worth knowing the kindles don't come regular mail like dvds etc but rather come as a registered ups shipment so I wouldn't worry about delivery.

They are also made in china and dispatched from shenzhen...

Amazon are sole suppliers, but you get grey importers like Expansys, but they do charge a premium. I've ordered via Amazon before to HK and they have been fine.

As for Foresoon, I've bought from them several times and have no issue with them.

I suggest you see the price of the items and if there is no difference in price between Foresoon and Amazon, probably buy from Foresoon (but note you won't get full warranty, just store warranty with Foresoon). However if the price difference is substantially different between Foresoon and amazon I would buy from Amazon.

justjoe86 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast