Like Tree67Likes

Would you hand over your FB password for a job?

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11

Good thing I don't have facebook, well I do, it's a account with 900 friends and I don't know 899 of them, they are all my social gaming buddies, so technically, I don't have a account I use for personal use and nobody writes on my wall asking me what's up..

I don't get how people can sit on the train or bus and stare at facebook news feed, is really getting together on a weekend or friday night and talking about what you did since you have last meet really that outdated? or just calling your m8 and just kicking it?

I was just asked this last week (not related to facebook).. "Do you remember when you were kids, and your parents would have to hound you just to come home in time for dinner? well now a days, Parents have to beg their little children.. Dear, please go out and play with your friends, staying at home too much is bad for you..", not trying to stereo type here, but a lot of the so called Y generation are either anti social, or just don't have a clue.. I think this is caused by the new age of technology and computers. ICQ, AIM, Netmeeting, MySpace, now Facebook..

As for "Would you hand over your FB password for a job?", NO...

Last edited by justsomebody2; 26-04-2012 at 03:49 PM.
    bookblogger likes this.

To answer OP question, my answer is NO and by the way no one from my company is my "friend" on Facebook.

My private life is just this private - i've got nothing to hide (and my Facebook is pretty empty) but I use it mostly with family and close friends and my employer has no good reason to want to have access to it.

Why would they want to know that my parents are on holiday in Europe or that my sis' son was sick last week?

Original Post Deleted
    I can understand that, what I don't understand is my missus nephews and cousins, they come to my home, first thing is log in to my wifi, then they proceed to sit and stare at their phones and facebook for the duration of their stay until their parents leave... Then they return home, facebook... wake up, first thing they do is not brush their teeth, it's facebook.. and believe me, their mother shares her thoughts with us quite openly and clearly, she's is worried for her 2 daughters..

I remember the old days when I use to "get out" more.. now it seems many people in their early teens to early twenties, have access to facebook 24/7, the more extreme tend to stay home and do facebook or some type of online social activity rather then face to face gathering activity.

I don't see a lot of people middle aged that stares at their phone, the ones that do usually stares at a blackberry, myself included.. It's the Y generation that tends to have their eyes "super glued" to their phones..

times has changed
    Last edited by justsomebody2; 26-04-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomebody2:
    I don't see a lot of people middle aged that stares at their phone, the ones that do usually stares at a blackberry, myself included.. It's the Y generation that tends to have their eyes "super glued" to their phones.
    so eyes glued to a BB is better then glued to FB?
    Either way, you are being "anti-social" and focusing attention too much away from the people standing around you.

I would say that parents always complain about what their kids are doing too much of, and I would also say that kids that do anything excessively would be a showing of parenting. If parents are allowing kids to use FB too much where they really are being anti-social, then thats bad parenting IMHO. Your example is perfect...if it were my kid visiting a friends house or relatives house where there are other guests... I would smack them up the head and take the device away so they can actually learn to communicate effectively and be social. Just like my wife does to me when I'm burying my head into my work emails too much in front of friends.
    Last edited by BaconBreadBaker; 26-04-2012 at 05:18 PM.
    bookblogger and Satay Sue like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Why would they want to know that my parents are on holiday in Europe or that my sis' son was sick last week?
    That's of course not their intent in the first place, rather they want to see how you behave outside of your workplace (e.g. if you have wild parties where you run around naked) and if you perhaps badmouth previous employers, which allows them to evaluate your character, but you do highlight the problem with giving full access - they get to see a lot of information that is none of their business (pun intended).
    Last edited by Raccon; 26-04-2012 at 05:47 PM.

If my business partner was not on Facebook I would have no idea where he is half the time .... for some people you just have to communicate what ever way works

And if people want to keep Facebook 100% just for family , that's fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by BaconBreadBaker:
    so eyes glued to a BB is better then glued to FB?
    Either way, you are being "anti-social" and focusing attention too much away from the people standing around you.
    I knew that was coming, I wasn't trying to be stereo type, and you are also missing my point, I was referring to more so.. How many, not all... these Y Generation are just zombies to today's technology which leads to bad habits and having that self "better than rest" like mentality, be it work ethics, mouthing off to their superiors, know it alls, call it what you will, I see them come in go in my office by the dozens which employs over 100K employees world wide.

It's just bad parenting or lack thereof, they are spoiled rotten.. we refer to them as having "princess or prince illness"...

Quote Originally Posted by BaconBreadBaker:
    I would say that parents always complain about what their kids are doing too much of, and I would also say that kids that do anything excessively would be a showing of parenting. If parents are allowing kids to use FB too much where they really are being anti-social, then thats bad parenting IMHO. Your example is perfect...if it were my kid visiting a friends house or relatives house where there are other guests... I would smack them up the head and take the device away so they can actually learn to communicate effectively and be social. Just like my wife does to me when I'm burying my head into my work emails too much in front of friends.
    It's hard being a parent, I'm not but seeing others, I don't even want to go there.. The example I used was a perfect one I think, she tried that "hard" approach, the daughter ran away for a week, scared her senseless so she just tells her and tries her best..

When I was a kid, if I talked back to my mom's, she'll slap the teeth out of my mouth, literally. I was scared of my mom's when I was a kid. If you tried that today, they'll call the cops on you and have you arrested for child abuse..

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    If my business partner was not on Facebook I would have no idea where he is half the time .... for some people you just have to communicate what ever way works

And if people want to keep Facebook 100% just for family , that's fine too.
    Absolutely, as DeletedUser said.. It's a perfect tool, however; too much of anything is just bad for you..

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    That's of course not their intent in the first place, rather they want to see how you behave outside of your workplace (e.g. if you have wild parties where you run around naked) and if you perhaps badmouth previous employers, which allows them to evaluate your character, but you do highlight the problem with giving full access - they get to see a lot of information that is none of their business (pun intended).

And they need Facebook for that?

I advise them to change their HR then.
    bookblogger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomebody2:

When I was a kid, if I talked back to my mom's, she'll slap the teeth out of my mouth, literally. I was scared of my mom's when I was a kid. If you tried that today, they'll call the cops on you and have you arrested for child abuse..
    oh, this option was available during my childhood in the US, also (80's). My sister told my mom that if she touched her, she'd call the child-abuse-hotline. Mom said "Do it. The first thing they'll do is separate you from us, and put you in an orphanage. You've seen "Annie". You want to take that chance?".

That was the last time I heard that threat from either sister....

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Bear in mind you're self employed.
    I'm not a very good manager..

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11