Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By thejae

WiMax repeater?

Closed Thread

WiMax repeater?

There's not much information on the web about WiMax repeaters but I thought I would try here. My friend is in rural Philippines. She has a Tatoo brand USB dongle from Globe Telecom which is some sort of wireless last-mile device, probably WiMax. The signal is weak at her location. Where can I buy a repeater for her? There is a Kyocera repeater on the web but no retail information.

Quote Originally Posted by br111an:
    There's not much information on the web about WiMax repeaters but I thought I would try here. My friend is in rural Philippines. She has a Tatoo brand USB dongle from Globe Telecom which is some sort of wireless last-mile device, probably WiMax. The signal is weak at her location. Where can I buy a repeater for her? There is a Kyocera repeater on the web but no retail information.
    Each ISP operates under their licensed frequency, even if WiMax is meant to be as simple as WiFi, they are quite distinct. Since these specific bandwidths require license from a governing body, it might be illegal to 'repeat' any of those signals, the same way it's illegal for you to do so for tv/ radio channels.

Long story short, there's no easy solution for a consumer to repeat WiMax like for WiFi. Your friend can only petition to her ISP to extend their coverage or hope they'll release a similar product to AT&T's microcell signal booster.
    br111an likes this.

wifi wifi......