Like Tree1Likes

Should I go for an iPhone or iPad? Or Android?

Closed Thread

London currently soon to move to Hong Kong

Red face Should I go for an iPhone or iPad? Or Android?

Hi all - just moved to HK from London and feeling quite homesick so want to be able to get some European radio stations. Also I'm keen to have something that's easy to carry around for if i want to do some browsing/use of maps, etc when I'm out and about at caffes or on the beach. I am a complete technophobe and until now my biggest venture has been my work blackberry and my iShuffle (I hear you giggle). I can use my blackberry fine for calls and emails but useless for browsing, etc so I don't really need a phone which is why I'm thinking I should buy an iPad - but can this also double up as a 'stereo' with speaker box at home? Sorry I really don't have a clue. Any advice very welcome! Thanks!

Well...i would consolidate first if i were you. Why carry one device for phone and one device for music and one device for maps/browsing? If your contract is up soon or can switch at any time...i would recommend selling the blackberry in MK for whatever cash you can get. Then go get an iphone which will do everything you need...just make sure you have a good data and/or wifi package depending on where you use it most.

I would not recommend an android if you are not good with gadgets. While Android has its pros, it is still quite confusing and more work to setup and get working the way you want it to. Iphone is plug-in and start using.

If you really cant or dont want to change phones, then i would recommend an ipad. I love it for reading all my magazine subscriptions and doing some larger screen browsing and work. A tablet device is a great alternative to a laptop/netbook assuming you are not a power user needing every bit of customization.

As for speakers...yes you can get any number of home speakers (small or large) that have plugs for the iphone or ipad to turn them into full blown music stations.

Last edited by BaconBreadBaker; 03-04-2012 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NatalieBiasin:
    Hi all - just moved to HK from London and feeling quite homesick so want to be able to get some European radio stations. Also I'm keen to have something that's easy to carry around for if i want to do some browsing/use of maps, etc when I'm out and about at caffes or on the beach. I am a complete technophobe and until now my biggest venture has been my work blackberry and my iShuffle (I hear you giggle). I can use my blackberry fine for calls and emails but useless for browsing, etc so I don't really need a phone which is why I'm thinking I should buy an iPad - but can this also double up as a 'stereo' with speaker box at home? Sorry I really don't have a clue. Any advice very welcome! Thanks!
    You can get a speaker dock for an iPad and they work well. I use an iPad to listen to music in my office at work. iPads also have their own speakers, they aren't fabulous, but are fine for watching TV/ listening to music if you don't need it to be loud.

Best iPad speaker dock: 5 reviewed | News | TechRadar

There are also a bunch of tablet devices that are in between the size of an iPhone and and iPad that I've seen around which might be a little more portable than an iPad but have screens that are big enough to read/ watch things off of (unlike and iPhone).

London currently soon to move to Hong Kong

Thanks both for your advice. I don't have much choice with the blackberry sadly - that's what my employer has given me so I have to stick with it. I think I'm going to go with an iPad and check out the speaker docs. Thanks again!

alternatively, get an android with micro hdmi ( sony ericsson/sony has slight edge on this) socket and micro hdmi cable which cost HK$60

plug your phone to your tv via hdmi ( even better TV plugged to home cinema/ av amplifier), instant radio/mp3/hifi player, even instant message, video call via tv

sony ericsson/sony has slight edge on this as it's CEC compatible, meaning that most modern and decent TV can control the entire phone via it's TV remote, every thing is controllable and usable (apart from making calls and inputting text)

other andriods require HMI adaptor and hdmi ( cost HK$100 -200 + cable cost) and is not CEC compatible ( no tv remote compalibility)

while ipad/phone has a digital av adaptor ( cost HK$300 + cable cost) and is not CEC compatible ( no tv remote compalibility) quite expensive

with a sony you can even allow your kids to play apps on TV ( or your husband/BF to play emulator classic video games via phone and wiimote /classic controller, ie, snes, megadrive, arcade)

also view photographs ( and control it) and hd video/youtube on your TV as well

If no need for phone then this should be iPad or iTouch. I like the Soundfreaq line of speaker docks. They work on bluetooth so don't even have to dock it if you don't want to (thought the sound is better with the i-whatever docked), plus they charge your i-whatever, and has a remote control. and best of all they are portable as battery life is very good. Best advice - get some nice aftermarket earbuds for much better sound

I have an iPad and an iPhone (for personal use) plus my work Blackberry (which I hate!!!)....get both!! Once you get sucked into the iPad/iPhone world, you'll wonder how you ever managed without them.

+1 for Apple earphones being cr*p.....

abcdefghij

Last edited by threelittlepigs; 07-04-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    I have an iPad and an iPhone (for personal use) plus my work Blackberry (which I hate!!!)....get both!! Once you get sucked into the iPad/iPhone world, you'll wonder how you ever managed without them.
    From RTHK:
    Five people in southern Hunan province have been charged with intentional injury in the case of a teenager who sold a kidney so he could buy an iPhone and an iPad. Xinhua News Agency said the five included a surgeon who removed a kidney from a 17-year-old boy in April last year. The boy is now said to be suffering from renal deficiency. One of the defendants reportedly received about 35,000 US dollars to arrange for the transplant.