Like Tree3Likes

Internet speed

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Anyone happen to have a list of Internet providers? I'm looking at Mei Foo Sun Chuen Phase 3 and so far the only fixed line I can find is from PCCW at a whopping 8Mb. HKBN and 3 aren't in the area... Any others I should check out? 8Mb is pretty depressing :-/

Check i-Cable. They may have DOCSIS 3.0 modems for that building over the cable TV coaxial that can support unto 130mbps. Here are a couple of speed tests from the HK government's site on my i-Cable. I got PCCW installed today as well and will have some comparison tests later (I have two ISP's providing broadband to my house now).

As others noted, speed to overseas sites is considerably slower.

MXZ likes this.

Sweet, apparently they do cover Phase 3 with the 130Mb connection!

So glad I asked on here - and thanks for taking the time to share!

Quote Originally Posted by MXZ:
    Sweet, apparently they do cover Phase 3 with the 130Mb connection!

So glad I asked on here - and thanks for taking the time to share!
    Please remember this is only to the local connection in HK, when things go abroad, speeds start dropping quite a bit.

As I understand it PCCW probably has the best backbone for foreign traffic.

Don't worry, I know the difference between theoretical line speed and what you actually get out of the thing. However 130Mb max theoretical is going to be a lot better than an 8Mb theoretical max. Actually we gave them a call this afternoon and they set it up this evening. Here's the speed test result:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1892388949.png

So yeah, mileage may vary but a whole lot better than the 8Mb ADSL from PCCW

JaredHK likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    My datapoint:
    * 162 / Month for PCCW 100M (fastest my building supports) - 18 month contract
    * In the past 10 years, I've dealt with PCCW customer service only a handful of times (I have my mobile with them too), it's always been fine for me

PCCW - one of my datapoints:
    Went in their office to update new credit card details filled in 3 forms.
    A few days later (Sunday Morning) SMS comes in saying my bill was outstandding and if I had paid ignore the message. I ignore the message.
    Next day - 24 hours later, Monday morning the phone is cut off.
    I go to PCCW office to check if the credit card details are correct - staff confirm, and happily report phone will be back on in 15 mins.
    30 mins later I return - phone still not on.
    I ask why?
    PCCW "It's cos you haven't paid your bill" - seems filling in several forms days before was not enough.
    Me - "What the fuck do you think I was in here earlier for"
    Bill sorted.
    Smartone across the street - bye bye PCCW.

Last edited by zerocred; 18-04-2012 at 11:46 PM.

I noticed on the link to netvigator posted earlier, that they have a internt/tv package that includes a TV. I've never seen that before, is that common in HK?