Like Tree22Likes

NAS or server?

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Hello, sorry for this.

Yes, things are up and running.

I did the following:

- Put in 8GB RAM
    - Installed a low profile graphics card (AMD 6450)
    - Got a 3.5 to 5.25 caddy and shifted the supplied 250GB HDD to the top bay (also had to buy a molex cable or something like that to connect the HDD to the spare Sata connector)
    - Originally installed 3x1TB HDDs, but changed that to 1x2TB HDD and 1x1TB HDD - pooled using Drive Bender
    - Updated to a modified BIOS
    - Installed Windows 7 (had a spare licence).

The unit is plugged into my TV and acts as an HTPC with a logitech harmony remote. Using Plex as my front end and have the likes of Sabnzbd, NZBDrone, Couch Potato etc running in the background.

The unit also acts as a server of sorts so I can stream on my tablet.

Overall happy with the setup. Its much quieter than I thought if would have been. It sometimes is a bit slow, esp when the HDDs need to speed up but not had a problem watch HD content from it.

I do leave the machine on all the time though. Can't get it to go into standby (S3), but that is because the BIOS doesn't support it. I can hibernate it, but then I can't turn on the unit with my remote.

Added another NAS Server - Linux based, RAID 5, dual NIC running Adaptive-Load-Balance, 9TB total.
    There are a few iOS apps. that support Cloud Sync.

Reviving an old thread here.

I've got one of the new N54L Microservers available as two of us just went into a group buy for a cluster of three. If anyone wants the third, it's yours for 1800.

The N54L is identical in spec to the N40L except for it's got a 2.2GHz CPU instead of a 1.5. It comes with 2GB of ECC RAM and no internal storage- you've got to provide your own hard drives and it can take 4 as standard and up to 6 with a simple firmware flash.

New N540Ls seem to be going for around 2500-2800 on (when they are in stock and with proper warranties), so if anyone wants to build out a compact home storage server, this should be a pretty good deal.

PM me if you're interested.

Last edited by jgl; 19-06-2013 at 02:28 PM.

oooooooo I'm sooooo tempted. I love the N40L we bought last time and I'm very tempted to get another one. Not sure what I want to use it for as I have 3 NAS device between home and office.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6