Cable Descrambler

Cable Descrambler

I have seen tons of people saying that you can get cable descramblers in Sham Sui Po and I was wondering where they are talking about? Can you get them in that huge multilevel computer store? Does anyone know anything about them? How long do they work for? Who's network do they work on? Are there any drawbacks?

The morality cops on the site are going to tell you its illegal (well it might be).....

They used to be sold by the dozen in Ap Liu Street, which is a couple of blocks away from the Golden Computer center.

Needless to say, your apartment needs to be wired into the cable network in the first place, for this to work. Not all apartments are.

Drawbacks... this response from the govt will educate you. (it might be out of date..)

How long do they work?......

No guarantee.. The duration hangs between your luck and I-cable's whim to change the frequency or setting whatever.

Are there any drawbacks?

Yes there are possible or probable implications as mentioned by Shri. If you are still not concerned about it, there is one more drawback.... You may have to run Sham Sui po every week/ month or so to get the new card.

fly

Well I have tried the box (pre-digitization days) and although you did get access to all the channels, the picture quality was about 80-85% compared to using iCable's box. It's hard to explain, it was't static or anything, but just out-of-focus and proof that you do get what you pay for. No idea about how it has changed since digitization, but it seems to me it was more trouble than it was worth to get an upgraded card every now and again.

I've been told the digital receivers can be purchased from Apliu street at around $700-800, and the included smart card needs to be changed approximately every 3 months at a cost of HK$100 each time (though the frequency of changes is likely to increase as the network goes fully digital).

Is anybody using one of the digital ones with a smart card? If so, can you please post the make and model #?

Thanks

Wouldn't it be cheaper to subscribe? After all, your getting lower quality picture plus you might be running back and forth for a new smartcar. And your running the possiblity of getting caught for using an possible illegal decoder.

But hey, it's your money and this is my 2 cents.

Has anyone seen boxes for Macau?

Quote Originally Posted by sfdude
    I have seen tons of people saying that you can get cable descramblers in Sham Sui Po and I was wondering where they are talking about? Can you get them in that huge multilevel computer store? Does anyone know anything about them? How long do they work for? Who's network do they work on? Are there any drawbacks?

I thought those boxes were a thing of the past now that cable is transmitted differently -I know this is true in Canada but maybe HK does still does it an older way. I cant recall what changed.

Now boxes to steal satellite signals are still out there but my understanding is that the cable signals are no longer de-scrambled.

Those cable boxes stopped working over a year ago.