Like Tree11Likes

Google drive

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Just use dropbox, how hard can this be?

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Just use dropbox, how hard can this be?
    Quote Originally Posted by sxc:
    Yeah that's my point - what if I don't want everything in dropbox?
    That's why.

Yeah that's my point - what if I don't want everything in dropbox? For example, I have a travel folder, and only some of the documents I want uploaded. Then I need to split where my travel related files are - one in dropbox folder, and the other in my usual place I put documents. It would be better if I can leave my folders where they are, and then I specify which folders I want to sync.

Another example is just say I have a large file I want to share with a friend (a home movie). I have my movies stored in a particular structure so that I can play them back using my PS3 - but then in order to share, I need to make a copy to the dropbox folder which doubles the space I need to use on my hard drive.
    YOU CAN specify which ones to sync.

Put everything in dropbox - just consider it the baseline folder on your computer for everything.

Then go to SELECTIVE SYNC in dropbox (in preference, advanced) and select which folders inside the dropbox you want to sync.

So, for your travel, you can have a travel - sync and a travel -don't sync folder all under a travel directory. Simple.

Personally I just bit the bullet and purchased a large enough dropbox allowance that everything can sync - it makes life simple and means I have a backup of all my files wherever I am.

or...instead of what M07 is suggesting....you can create a symbolic link in your Dropbox folder for any folders outside Dropbox you want stored there. this uses no additional space and allows you to mirror any folders outside dropbox so that those files still get uploaded to server without you actually needing to change the way you organize your life.

sxc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    YOU CAN specify which ones to sync.

Put everything in dropbox - just consider it the baseline folder on your computer for everything.

Then go to SELECTIVE SYNC in dropbox (in preference, advanced) and select which folders inside the dropbox you want to sync.

So, for your travel, you can have a travel - sync and a travel -don't sync folder all under a travel directory. Simple.

Personally I just bit the bullet and purchased a large enough dropbox allowance that everything can sync - it makes life simple and means I have a backup of all my files wherever I am.
    So if I choose selective un-sync for a folder, that folder disappears from my local computer. So not only do I not have the files on my PC, I have sent them to the cloud which is not what I wanted in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by BaconBreadBaker:
    or...instead of what M07 is suggesting....you can create a symbolic link in your Dropbox folder for any folders outside Dropbox you want stored there. this uses no additional space and allows you to mirror any folders outside dropbox so that those files still get uploaded to server without you actually needing to change the way you organize your life.
    Nice idea but requires terminal commands. Yuk. Too bad Alias folders won't work in the same way.

how "safe" is this thingy?

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    how "safe" is this thingy?
    About as safe as geoexpat getting hacked?
    Mat likes this.

Just a heads up, in response to Google Drive, Microsoft Skydrive have just bumped up their free offering from 7GB to 25GB. But its a limited time offer. To take advantage of it, you need to login to your skydrive now and click a button you see at the top to get the free limited time upgrade.

Nice idea but requires terminal commands. Yuk. Too bad Alias folders won't work in the same way.
    are you on a mac?
    no need for terminal commands:
    • Download SymbolicLinker
    • copy the SymbolicLinker.service file to your /Library/Services folder (create folder if it doesnt exist). Ignore the plugin and other files.
    • restart computer
    • right click on file/folder and select "Make Symbolic Link"
    • note: if it doesnt show when you right click, then check your System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Services list to ensure there is a blue check next to the "Make Symbolic Link" option.
    TheBrit likes this.