Want to watch streaming shows on TV

Lightbulb Want to watch streaming shows on TV

Hi there,
    I've got HKBN BB+TV bundle, however they provide limited channels and I've signed a 2 year contract. I usually watch my favorite TV shows online streaming, but I don't want to hurt my neck looking at the laptop for so many hours.

Where can I get a cable which will connect my laptop to my TV, so I can watch these shows directly on my TV? What do you call this cable and how much does it cost?

Take a photo of the video sockets on your laptop
    Take a photo of the video sockets on your TV

then go to a computer centre and ask around.

Depending on the age of your laptop and TV the answers could be different.

Don't forget the sound!

Quote Originally Posted by rishi:
    Where can I get a cable which will connect my laptop to my TV, so I can watch these shows directly on my TV? What do you call this cable and how much does it cost?
    What output does your laptop have and what input does your TV have?

If you don't know then post the brand and specific model of laptop and TV.

Take a look at this thread on the same topic.

Input and Output for my TV and Laptop

I have an old Sharp TV and I just bought my Samsung Laptop recently, the model shouldn't be more than a year old, pics shown:

That TV is antique.

I am afraid a cable alone won't do for video, you will need a converter from VGA (RGBHV) to RCA (composite video). However with composite being one of the worst signals in terms of quality don't expect too much.
    For audio a cable will be sufficient, mini jack (3.5mm) to 2x RCA (red & white).

See here for such a converter:
    Sewell PC to TV Converter (VGA to RCA) - SW-22050, $19.95
    Sewell TVdeck PC to TV Converter - SW-23000, $29.95 (this one includes the audio connection to the PC)
    High Resolution VGA to Composite (RCA) or S-Video Converter - PC to TV | StarTech.com Global

To connect the converter output to the TV you will also need to get a RCA to RCA cable if such is not included.
    For the second converter 3x RCA (white, red, yellow) commonly known as AV cable and for the first and third converter just a single RCA to RCA cable (yellow plugs) plus the audio cable mentioned above.

In case of a single RCA cable I would go with a good quality video cable (75 Ohm impedance), not those that are thin as a hair. No need to spend silly money on that but something decent yet affordable (say no more than HKD150) will give you a better quality in my experience. Might have to go to a hifi/AV shop for that.

Last edited by Raccon; 21-05-2012 at 07:35 PM.

A couple of other options:

- Not necessarily a new TV - maybe pick up a second hand larger monitor that you could hook up the laptop to?
    - Get yourself a lapdesk so that the laptop is sitting more comfortably on your lap if you're watching it that way?

The quality conversion + older TV = the quality of the picture on screen being pretty mediocre.